Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Strange sword

Hi Everyone

I know next to nothing about swords so promised to post this for a friend of mine - what do you think it is. The reversed svas puts me of.

Cheers Thomas
    Attached Files

Closer
    Attached Files

Comment

Hmmm

A no no from me. I heard these are made in India, China or something like that. The swastika being the wrong way around is a major issue. They are fakes and supposedly new versions surfaced with the swastika the right way around.

JAN

Comment

Hi Jan

Thanks for the info What is it ment to look like?

Cheers Thomas

Comment

That Is Not An Eagle. It Looks Like A Buzzard. Bad Copy Of An Army Officer's Sword

Comment

Thomas,

Ebay is full of these Chinese made brass hilt cast copies with a reversed swastika. Some people believe that this particular sword is original. I do not. The reversed swastika appears on no other Third Reich sword that I am aware of. The swastika has a hole in the center of it for no apparent reason. The eagle looks like a characterization of a chicken and is downright ugly. I could go on but three strikes and you are out as far as I am concerned.

I would not buy this sword as original.

Comment

This is the 1st time ive seen this particular reproduction. Interesting repro. Im going to post it elsewhere.

I'd like to see the Voos maker mark if possible. I have seen other sabers with the reversed eagle that were the subject of debate, but not this model in particular. The last saber that was discussed elsewhere, with the reversed swas, looked better than this one. I'd be more inclined to believe the other one that was discussed might be the real deal, but with a casting flaw. Not this one.

The patina looks funky and some of the edges really look sharp, almost like parts of the hilt were machine cut as opposed to cast. The grip wire also looks off. Additionally, I don't like the casting on the backstrap.

All in all, I dont like this one. I WOULD NOT BUY THIS ONE.

T
              Last edited by SwordFish; 10-10-2007, 05:01 PM.

Comment

Interestingly, on the other forum where I posed this link, a member who I respect and I consider a senior and very knowledgeable sword collector belives this saber is legitimate.

I cannot say with any certainty, but I, personally would avoid these. If not for anything more than the fact that you'll have a heck of a time unloading it down the road.

I still think this sword looks really rough. Not quite what I'd expect from Voos. Comparing the Voos sabers I have, I see a number of red flags that would steer me clear...and this is exluding the reversed swas.

Comment

As noted above; There are those at GDC who believe these swords are legit. IMO; And that's all this is, I can't imagine the Voos firm letting these out the door.
                  However they are definitely not Indian or Pakistani in origin. I suspect but will never be able to prove that they were post-war assembled out of a combination of left over and condemmed parts. Anyway JMO.
                  Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X