One More Portapee Question...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

One More Portapee Question...

Well, I finally decided to go ahead and add a portapee to my 1st Model Luftwaffe Dagger. However, after I did this, I began thinking about another issue that is mostly concerned about conservation, so I put a thread in the conservation forum. However again, the experience needed to answer my question may come from some of you more-experienced with seeing the long-term effects (if any) of portapees on daggers with leather handles. So, to also get the attention of some of the most-experienced, here's a link to my other thread.

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...84#post2213684

Thanks in advance to all who may take a look and respond.

Chris

As long as the port is not on too tight, and there is not alot of movement, i would not anticipate the portepee causuing any damage to the leather. I would advise coating the leather grip with a preservative like Renwax. I applied a coat to the grip of my 1st luft for both protection from the elements, finger acids, etc, but also to enhance its luster. Again, I think movement is key. If the alum thread in the port string constantly rub against the grip, you may have some problems. If the dagger/port stay stationary, im fairly certain you won't see any advers effects.

Renwax works well on leather goods.

Comment

Swordfish,

Thanks for the good advice!

Chris

Comment

I'm with swordfish. Have also a portepee to my stone mint aluminium first model luftw. dagger. Or maybe you are intending to wear him every day? The swinging could damage the leather and even the wire of the portepee after a long time

Regards, Theo
        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Originally posted by Theo Cuypers View Post
          I'm with swordfish. Have also a portepee to my stone mint aluminium first model luftw. dagger. Or maybe you are intending to wear him every day? The swinging could damage the leather and even the wire of the portepee after a long time

Regards, Theo
          Well, now that's something else I hadn't thought of. I guess that means I can't wear it afterall...

Chris

Comment

Hello all,

I'll weigh in here with an "old-timer's" thoughts:
            • Given what a lot of our daggers have endured over the past sixty-plus years, wear from a portepee (especially to the grip wire) is virtually a non-existent threat
            • I actually appreciate seeing a little wear to/from the knot when looking at a dagger. I'm not talking about signs of obvious abuse, but good, honest wear really gives a piece that seasoned look that many of us appreciate.
            Hope that helps,
            Skip

Comment

Originally posted by Skipper Greenwade View Post
              Hello all,

I'll weigh in here with an "old-timer's" thoughts:
              • Given what a lot of our daggers have endured over the past sixty-plus years, wear from a portepee (especially to the grip wire) is virtually a non-existent threat
              • I actually appreciate seeing a little wear to/from the knot when looking at a dagger. I'm not talking about signs of obvious abuse, but good, honest wear really gives a piece that seasoned look that many of us appreciate.
              Hope that helps,
              Skip
              Thanks Skip! That's certainly the kind of logical, common-sense advice that snaps me right into the reality of it. It sort of makes me think, "Oh yeah, why didn't I think of that myself." Anyway, thanks again for the logic... All my 1st model Lufts are now wearing portapees, without worry.

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X