Imperial Damascus Pair

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial Damascus Pair

Although not TR, these should be of interest to all sword and dagger collectors.

This is a pair of damascus presentation swords presented to War School graduate Schluttig. Not only are they to the same individual but they have identical Grosser form lionhead hilts.

Overall they both measure 39" and the blades, 33 1/2". One has a massive 1 1/2" wide blade at the ricasso while the other is slightly narrower at 1 1/8"

The larger is marked Karguth Berlin at the ricasso and the smaller has along the spine "Warenhaus fuer Armee und Marine Berlin"

I acquired these years ago from an estate of an army nurse. During WW2 she had taken them for safe keeping for someone and put them in her ambulance. She had been waiting ever since to return them.

Sadly, they are missing their scabbards.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by paulj; 10-05-2007, 12:38 PM.

hilts
    Attached Files

Comment

dedications
      Attached Files

Comment

Comment

Damascus mark
          Attached Files

Comment

Super pair of swords and an interesting story behind them, I wonder what the need was for one guy to own both ?

Comment

I suppose the obvious gift for a war school graduate would be a nice sword. The man received them from two different people, de Rougemont and Luehe. I can imagine any number of scenarios how these happen to have the same hilt and are essentially the same style sabre.

I researched the name in late 1890's Rangliste and there's a Hauptmann Schluttig who was an inspector at a munitions factory.

Up to this point, I've found the names Luehe associated with Braunschweig and Rougement with the Luneberger Heide - generally the same region.

Comment

Superb.Can you show more detail of the blades ?
                Best.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X