My new early Luft sword.Thanks to J.R.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

My new early Luft sword.Thanks to J.R.

A few weeks back I posted on E Stand re J.R's quickdraw"I'll take it" re a nice early Luft sword and that I had been looking for a year. I was pm'd by a great guy who was thinking of selling his and, deal done, it arrived this week and has doubled my sword collection.
    My dilemna is that it has a really heavy patina and I look at it and can appreciate that it has probably been untouched for decades but part of me longs to clean it just enough to show it's former glory. I can just imagine the original owner looking at it in horror and getting his cleaning kit out.I am going to resist the temptation for the moment but would be interested in other collectors' views.
    Attached Files

New Horter Luft sword.
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Kiloh,

Please remember you are dealing with an antiquety here. What the former owner would or would not think is no longer the issue. What current seasoned collectors think should be more the concern. Knowledgable collectors normally prefer that the patina not be disturbed. Your sword wears it's age well and it is a testimate to it's history in unmessed with condition. This is desirable given that many swords and daggers have unfortunately been cleaned of their wonderful patina by good intentioned owners who should be caretakers instead.

If you do clean it you may end up regretting your action as it's cloak of history will be gone.

You have a wonderful looking sword as it is. Enjoy it for what it is.

Just some thoughts.

Tony
                    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

There you go Mate

Comment

I reeled a short stack in meself the last couple of weeks..........
                        Attached Files

Comment

All nickel, all early, all very minty.
                          Attached Files

Comment

Tiger, If I threw the buff job on this one would it bring a tear to your eye ?
                            Attached Files

Comment

Ian,

As a collector of almost forty years, the first thing that catches my eye on a piece lilke this is the patina...It may well be an acquired taste, but I'll bet you would regret cleaning the sword after the fact.

If you want me to beg, I will....PLEASE don't clean the sword!!!!

Best,
                              Skip

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X