SS sword that sold on E-bay

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS sword that sold on E-bay

Is it just me or is this a little pricey for a sword in this condition?

http://cgi.ebay.com/German-Elite-NCO...QQcmdZViewItem

I'm with you, but Paul's no goober. If he was willing to pay $2K for it, there's something about it that's worth the coin. I think the fact the blade is stated to be good was a deciding factor. I'm not a sword guy but the seller alludes to the fact there's a "branch marking on the endcap & cap of the scabbard". Is this an officer's piece?

Comment

Thats the SS officer candidate sword. Like everything else they have ben ticking up there in value. He may have had a customer for one. Cheaper than you will find at shows.
      http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

SS Sword

Definately not an Officer Candidate hilt. Officer Candidates have a wire wrapped grip and an officer's pommel, not an NCO Pommel. IF this one has the SS Runes in the top of the pommel, it can bring a little more, especially if the parts are nickel silver.
        Ron Weinand

Comment

It's an SS NCO sword and should have runes on the pommel. The description given by the seller was probably just to get around the e-Bay restrictions.

SS NCO swords are actually more difficult to find than officer swords, as they were worn only by senior NCOs.....................warrant officers. There were fewer of them than there were officers.

However, that particular one is in pretty poor condition. The rust on the hilt and scabbard looks very bad..............unless the photos are deceptive.

Comment

You guys are right, I spoke too soon. I even have one in my collection
            http://militarycollectorshq.com/

sigpic

Comment

I suspect the next time this one appears the rust will only be a memory.
              Jim

Comment

I have not known Paul to be partial to cleaning things. He is more "retentive" than I am and refuses to clean anything, prefering to leave it to the next owner.

.... but I am enjoying the soap opera of spying on a brother forum member...

Regards to all!

Comment

I've known Paul for years also and my statement above is not criticism. The rusting on that sword appears to be active and if not stopped the fittings will just rot away.
                  Jim

Comment

Well, the sword looks perfectly original to me but the condition is rough to say the least. I would not pay that much for this sword but to each their own.

Comment

The most shocking thing about all this to me is the fact that something like this on e-Bay has actually been determined to be authentic for a change. From most past discussions, I was beginning to think that authentic Third Reich e-Bay militaria was almost certainly an oxymoron these days. It's at least good to see that this isn't entirely true yet, and there still may be some good stuff to be found there. So, I guess I'll have to start keeping a cautious eye on the e-Bay offering from now on.

Sincerely surprised,

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X