Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Another Blade Question

Hello again,

I recently added a couple of nice daggers to my dagger collection--an ealry SS EM 1933 and an early 1st Model Luftwaffe. The previous owner had applied oil to the blade which had been there no more than about six months, if that long. This was not motor oil or anything unusual, just regular oil of some type. Upon receiving the daggers, I immediately and completely removed the oil and applied a coat of Renaissance Wax. Both blades currently look just fine, with no visible problems. The Luftwaffe blade is even near mint.

My question is this: With the oil having been previously-applied for a relatively short time, and now completely removed, are my blades now safe from any future adverse affects from previous oil use? In other words, once applied, does the oil, even after thoroughly-removed, doom your dagger to some future blade damage? I'm assuming that oil made for lubrication is not like skin oil which contains acids that do damage your blade over time. I'm assuming that, once regular oil is removed from a great blade, you can then maintain a great blade without worry.

Thanks to all who may respond,

Chris

How did you go about removing the oil from the blade?

Comment

I'm not really sure. The prevailing thought is that oil will trap moisture under its coat and eventually lead to rust and some types of oxidation/staining. Like Scott asked, how did you remove it? If you are satisfied that the oil is thoroughly removed, and you hit it with a good coat of Renwax, theoretically it should be fine.

Just my $.02...even if it's worth less than a peso.

Comment

Originally posted by SwordFish View Post
        The prevailing thought is that oil will trap moisture under its coat and eventually lead to rust and some types of oxidation/staining.

Gentlemen,

Whose prevailing thought is this?

Please consider that MILLIONS of gun owners use oil to preserve the metal on their firearms not to mention the military and the few (?) million arms they have. If oil did not work in preserving the metal on valuable firearms then why would so many folks use it?

Please consider also that oil is used to preserve Japanese samurai swords. Again why would all references recommend that clove oil be used to preserve these wonderful blades?

So please, think things thru a bit further before drawing such flawed conclusions. Oil, while it can be messy when heavily applied is not detrimental to the steel in non plated blades. On the other hand plated blades should not have an oil left on it as the oil may penetrate between the plating and the steel and may eventually cause some lifting at points where the plating has been damaged.

I enjoyed the chuckle. Thanks!

Tony
        An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

It's very nice to hear a totally different perspective on the oil issue, such as the one presented by Tony (Thanks Tony!). The main reason I went nuts and removed the oil so quickly was due to the prevailing thoughts against it. I've never been able to make so much sense out of the oil scare myself either, but I just do what everybody says, since I figure somebody must know something I don't. I even consulted a local museum curator, as well as numerous other knowledgable individuals, who say that there is no reason to be scared of oil on your dagger metal. I've been confused about all these preservation issues to the point of near madness at times. I hear so many different opinions about this from so many different collectors that it is absolutely mind-boggling.

I have also not been able to make any correlation about any particular type of collector who is more likely to believe one thing over another, in regards to this issue. I've actually had some of the most knowledgable, experienced collectors of daggers, in this long before I was even born, telling me to use oil. I've even used oil on countless other blades other than valuable antique stuff (but made of the same material/metal) for decades, and I've never seen so much as a single spot of damage occur as a result of the oil. However, I never want to take chances with my really expensive pieces. So, when so many smart, experienced people say "No Way!" I tend to just listen and do as they do, figuring there must still be some secret danger I have yet to discover.

I actually don't use oil, and I don't plan on it, even though I don't quite understand why it is really considered to be so dangerous. I've even talked to some scientists who don't understand it. However, maybe we know something that even the scientists don't know.

I want to make it totally clear that I am in NO WAY taking sides and accusing anybody of not being correct about anything. I am also not meaning to insult anyone; So please do not take it that way. I truly appreciate everyone's opinions and take great care to listen and learn from all. I'm just always trying to make some sense out of everything, using all information available, and respecting the opinions of everyone. So, thanks very much to everyone, and please take no offense to my true account of chaos in the area of opinions--as I have truly experienced it. These comments are only in response to the earlier different perspective on oil use.

Chris
          Last edited by Stahlhelm; 09-08-2007, 11:04 PM.

Comment

One more thing:

In regards to the issue in my initial question, I have removed the oil, the blades are beautiful, the Ren Wax is on and, with the combined opinions of all (Thank You!), I have no further concerns about the future of my once briefly-oiled dagger blades. As far as I'm concerned, the case is closed on that, again thanks to everyone who responded.

Sincerely,

Chris

Comment

Oil/Blade Problems

Oil application to TR Dagger blades can cause some problems as follows:
              ON Political Dagger Blades: SOME OILS tend to darken the surface over time. You would not notice this action on blued guns due to the color, but it can happen on natural finish, polished blades. Also, oil tends to attract dust particles from the air and these, when present on the blade's surface can etch them depending on the source of the dust and its contaminates. Therefore, I tend to use a silicon based protectant after an initial blade cleaning in dry humidity conditions BEFORE applying a silicon product (I use Simichrome-without rubbing or polishing as it cleans and has silicone for protection).
              ON PLATED BLADES, like a 1st Model Luftwaffe Dagger has, oil CAN PENETRATE UNDER THE PLATING and lift it off the blade over time. This is why you see some plated blades where some of the plating has been scratched by the spring keepers in the scabbard and then oil was applied by the US veteran (or whoever) and the surface plating flakes off in the center or near the tip. These plated blades, when kept dry, DON'T NEED TO BE OILED for storage or display, only dusted and wipped off occassionally.
              JMO,
              Ron Weinand
              Weinand Militaria

Comment

Thanks again Ron,

I really appreciate the extra, detailed information. Every little bit helps, and you've certainly added a lot to my understanding as well.

Chris

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X