Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Interchangeability of parts KM/WH/LW?

Guys,

Question from a real noob in the dagger department.

I bought a KM pommel and a crossguard and now have the opportunity to buy a grip although it is most probably for a WH dagger. Sounds crazy but do these items generally fit together or are they completely different? Also does it vary between makers? I just have had no luck finding KM grips!

Sorry if the question is too silly

J.

Hello J:

I assume that you are trying to restore a navy dagger.
    By WH I'm guessing that you mean army.
    I don't know if it would fit or not, but an army grip on a navy dagger would look ridiculous.
    Johnson always has dagger parts available at...

http://johnsonreferencebooks.com/

...including several navy grips...

http://johnsonreferencebooks.com/searchmain.html

...currently on offer.
    I hope that this is helpful.

Comment

thanks mate, looked on the site, mine is a second model, would this grip fit do you reckon?

Model 1921 Navy Dagger Grip.
      MINT (Black horn in "spiral" pattern; complete with tap hole) (14146) $95.@

I bpught the pommel and crossguard from a member here and it was a 2nd Model Dagger by P.D. Luneschloss

http://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/foru...d.php?t=217886

Comment

I could be wrong about this, but I was given to believe that the only difference between the 1st and 2nd model navy daggers was the pommel.
        I've been told that they offered the new 2nd model/TR style replacement pommels for sale on naval bases for quick conversion purposes.
        This would lead me to guess that any navy style grip would work on your dagger.
        But again, I could be wrong on this.
        Perhaps one of our more experienced members should weigh in on this matter.
        Last edited by Daggerob; 09-06-2007, 04:43 AM.

Comment

2nd model Naval Dagger

Hi J.

If I were you I would replace like with like. The only grip Johnson has at the moment is for an earlier 1st model Naval Dagger. There is not much point purchasing that as yours is a 2nd model (although like Bob says it probably would fit).
          You would be better to hang on and wait for a decent condition 2nd model Naval Grip complete with wire (if possible). They are a bit thin on the ground but keep looking at Johnsons site , I will keep an eye out for you and also you see the odd one on Eban.

Hope this helps.

Best wishes,
          Ian

Simplydaggers

Comment

While navy daggers are probably the most forgiving, there was often a lot of hand fitting performed which sometimes makes part swaps a real challenge. This is especially true with SA & SS examples.
            Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Heck...throw the thing together, put 'er up on eBay, and sell it as an all services wehrmacht dagger. Don't forget to add a story to it...something like a friends grandfather took it from a U-boat commander and stabbed him in the neck with it, thusly rendering the boat captured and subsequently piloting it back to Norfolk. Why not. Hey, maybe you can find a former member from GDC who can etch a nice motto into the blade and really bring in the big dollars.

All in good humor of course. Not interchangeable per-se. I suppose you could crank the thing together. Go with the advice of the other fellas. parts are available on certain dealers sites. Although, finding a good fit may be a challenge.

PS- Bob how have you been. Havn't seen you in awhile.

tom

Comment

ok guys, some context would probably have been helpful.

I have a small KM display and because we are not allowed to import blades of daggers into Australia I have decided to assemble the pommel crossbar, grip a portepe, sheath and hold the whole thing together with a stick or wire. As my interest is primarily medals and helmets, it was a "filler" to make the whole scene "nice". It didn't worry me that much that the grip was not KM as they are hard to come by, it just had to look "nice".

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X