Bayonets

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Bayonets

Guys I got a question . How come k-98 bayonets dont have the ring for the barrel. I know some do, maybe older ones but most dont. Local gun dealer said the ones without the ring for barrel are called something else and were never intended to be on a gun. I think he is wrong but wanted to ask the Experts here. Thanks

Well I'm sure no expert, but I've been told the Germans didn't put the muzzle ring on the bayonets because it affected the accuracy of the rifle.
    Last edited by AKAddict; 08-22-2007, 03:21 PM.

Comment

No more replys to this question? Is it such a simple question I dont get it? Why no barrel ring on the bayos?????

Comment

You did get the answer. They didn't want the bayonet attached to the barrel because it affected accuracy.

Comment

Sounds good to me. Thanks

Comment

They are right. It has to do with barrel vibration and harmonics as the bullet travels down the barrel, as well as a theoritical change of zero with bayonet on/off. I have yet to see any published test reports that the Germans did, just references to the reasons why.

Cheers,
            Johnnie

Comment

Law's 'Backbone of the Wehrmacht" book on Mauser 98Ks explains it.

The bayonet mount attached to the front of the stock must not touch the barrel for accuracy purposes. If memory serves me right the dimension was something like 1 mm clearance. This clearance was with or without the bayonet attached.

Tony
              An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Thank You Sirs!!!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,823 at 04:24 PM on Today.

Working...
                X