SA/NSKK manufacturers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA/NSKK manufacturers

Hi all, I've noticed some have been asking about manufacturer's and their rarity when it comes to SA, NSKK and SS daggers. Where do these lists exist? as I'm new to blade collecting. I've got an NSKK by Wester und Butz and an SA (with an almost black motto! great burnishing) made by Gebruder Heller. I plan on making a modest hobby of collecting Holbein daggers, especially SA's. Are these rare makers?

There's the McSaar list that you can purchase from here:

http://daggers.infopop.cc/eve/forums...3/m/1700045203

The other is a reference book known as the Fisher Quick Reference which has a load of other information in there and is quite useful, other than just a list of the rarity of maker marks.

More information here:

http://www.bookswiwo.com/ourpublications.jsp

Your Heller is quite common, while your Wester & Butz is quite rare.

Comment

To add to the info above, the Mcsarr lists daggers on a rarity scale 1-10, the Heller (an extremely well made dagger, very attractive in my opinion) is a 4, so fairly common but much sought after. The Wester and Butz is very rare, a 9 !

Everyone is different but I personally think your best bet is to collect by condition, top quality SA daggers are a great investment and very easy to sell with either a common or a rare maker. Even a very rare maker in crappy condition is a difficult seller, appealing to more specific ''type'' collectors.

Jonathan

Comment

Sadly my W&B has a couple of cracks in the grip, and the blade is in overall good condition, just a few marks, but it was acquired locally for a very reasonable price. I'm glad to learn of it's rarity. The Heller is in almost perfect shape, but I don't have it yet, recently acquired, it's on it's way to me now. Will post photos when they arrive. Thanks all for the info!

Comment

Mike, SDP is right on. Let condition be your 1st consideration. There are hundreds of makers and finding a rare maker is common, if that makes any sense at all.
          www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X