SA with leather buffer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SA with leather buffer

This SA dagger is unusual as it has a leather buffer pad between the cross guard and the blade. The dagger is made by F.Ed.Ohliger. The blade appears to have been shortened by 1mm (1/2"). According to Johnson's book on Edged Weapon Accouterments a few SA daggers were made this way. This is the first one I have seen or had.
    Attached Files

Buffer

Buffer pad
    Attached Files

Comment

Tip

tip
      Attached Files

Comment

Handle

The eagle has lost all of its silver.
        Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

I never see these GAU stamp " SA " in these direction?? it is ok?

KR

Winfried

Comment

Hello! It's a very rarity Gau Stamp SA for Sachsen.

Comment

The leather buffer is seen on rare occasions on early SA's. I know that I've had 3 original examples by Heller with leather buffers, there may be others. In all cases one's antenna should go up when seeing a buffer on a SA. Could this be right, maybe...
              As far as the group stamp I do not like it. Sachsen used "Sa" with the small case "a". Never seen this in caps before. Could they have used a different stamp, maybe...
              Ok lastly Ohliger SA's were issued to Nrh, No, and Nm. Could this have been an anomoly, maybe...
              There are few hard and fast rules in this hobby but when you see 3 red flags on one dagger best to walk away.
              One last comment. Ohliger is listed on McSaar as a 10. In my experience I believe this is an error, these are around and not that rare. Fisher states they are 4/1000 and the rarest maker 1/1000.
              Hope that helps some.
              www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Gau mark SA with the capital "A" is known. Usually found on Haenel daggers. I have an SA dagger with Gau mark Wf stamped upside down so it does occur. Paul I believe that Ed Ohliger is a 9 on the McSARR. Julius Ohliger is the 10.

Comment

Sa

I took the dagger apart today and removed the leather buffer and then put it back together, when I did the tang was to long for the handle and the nut would not tighten back down. When I put it back together properly everything fit fine. The leather buffer has been there for a long time as the it has a blade indentation in it and it was stuck to the cross guard.

Comment

Originally posted by z06berlin View Post
                    I took the dagger apart today and removed the leather buffer and then put it back together, when I did the tang was to long for the handle and the nut would not tighten back down. When I put it back together properly everything fit fine. The leather buffer has been there for a long time as the it has a blade indentation in it and it was stuck to the cross guard.

I'm not so sure that a cutlery manufacturor would use a leather shim to tighten up it's finished product when a simple shortening of the tang would be so much more expedient and and cheaper.

I don't care for the SA stamping and orientaion on this dagger.

Too much to wonder about with this dagger IMO.

Tony
                    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Sa

IMHO, tightening up a loose fit would only be done by someone that "thinks" it was the proper thing to do, but not a period done remedy. I like things to make sense and this doesn't (to me anyway). Big difference in using a leather buffer to seal and using one to "tighten up" a blade fit...
                      DJ

Comment

I have an early Adolf Volker SA that has the original leather buffer. However it is not that thick. Wittmann, like Paul, says they are period and correct but are rarely encountered.
                        Sermas

Comment

I have a non rohm Heanel marked SA and a ground rohm Heanel marked Th.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X