Rad Daggers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Hello,

I dont know what happened there-my scan was distorted when i uploaded it!I swear it looked better than that on my PC!let me try again
    Attached Files

Comment

Originally posted by David C
      Were they all supposed to carry the mark?
      Most of them are supposed to have the triangle but a few of them dont have it, here is one
      http://www.antiqueswords.com/bq540.htm
      Last edited by Tyler Ramsey; 05-26-2003, 09:13 PM.

Comment

I think its not a good sign that the seller used such poor pictures-well see
        Yes most of the time this is true but the photos of mine were HORRIBLE when I got it off ebay.
        The Good photo

The Ebay pic
        Attached Files

Comment

The Good Pic2

The Ebay pic2
          Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

as far as i know only RAD hewers from early 1934(before there was control and inspections of blade manufacturers)should be without a RAD patent/inspection mark.this info is from Angolias "Labor Organizations of the Reich".so it is possible to find a few without the patent triangle.as for ebay pictures go-Im sure there are good pieces with bad pics(it looks like tyler found one!)however Ive seen alot of stuff with pictures that disguess the condition/flaws in a piece-ie poor pictures-I bought a dress bayo from ebay a long time ago-the pictures looked great however the one spot that there was a flaw was not shown in the pics(ie the good side was pictured!)when i recieved it i was very dispointed!

Yancy

Comment

I have a few more pics from the seller. He is convinced it is an original. Can anyone give me a yea or a nay on this one please?

much appreciated

David.
              At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

next
                At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

and the last.
                  Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

is it just me or does the maker mark look very poorly done!look at the S and the EN in solingen-very sloppy and uneven-I unfortunatley dont have any alcoso daggers that i can compare the marks with-does anyone have an alcoso piece we can compare?

Yancy

Comment

Hello again,

I forgot to add-Tim and Kurt,VERY nice daggers,that Boker one is the nicest EM i have seen in a while!very clean,good stuff-thanks for shareing!

Yancy

Comment

Thanks for the input Tyler.

The screws through the handle appear to be the wrong way around, that is the slotted heads are to the reverse, all other pics I can find show the slots to the obverse. So could they have been like this from new or have the grips been removed and replaced with the screws the wrong way around perhaps?

I found this mark on a Rad hewer on the web. It has less wear to it but doesn't look all that different to the one I'm considering. I think I'll take a chance on it unless anyone can give me a good reason not to,... anyone?

Cheers
                        David.
                        Attached Files

Comment

Oops!! sorry Yancy.

Comment

I think its real, just a bit worn, so if it is at a good price, i would buy it

Comment

Hello,

I cant believe that nobody else had at least an opinion about this one!I hadent even bothered to look at the grips ,which means that yes this dagger has at least been apart and the screws put back in the wrong way-Im still stuck on the maker mark-Am i the only one who sees a difference even to the other alcoso maker mark that you posted?if you look at your dagger the maker mark is on the blade crooked-it starts on the left and goes at an angle up to the right hand side(hold a piece of paper level with the top of the handle and you will see what i mean!)-the EN in solingen are clearly different than the other alcoso mark-the second scale in the logo appears misshapen with the left side of the scale more rounded than the other side.I still cant beleive nobody else has an opinion about this!again David im no dagger expert so please get other opinions(if you can get another opinion!)I personally would pass on that one-

Yancy
                              Last edited by Radcollector; 05-29-2003, 02:29 PM.

Comment

Yes Yancy I see what you are saying about crooked. I am not a dagger expert either (that's why I'm in here asking) but what I've seen of 3rd Reich cutterly both in the flesh and illustrations you can get some wonky trademarks. Indeed the "good one" I post appears to me to slope from the left to right when compared to the "grain" of the steel.

Have any of you disassembled your hewers? Is it feasible to get the screws the wrong way around? Would a faker leave off the Rad triangle and put the screws in backwards?

I just don't know fellas. I want to buy this as I think it's ok. I was kinda hoping someone would chip in with a definite declaration of authenticity but things are never that simple are they?

It is 350 UK pounds, I'm still tempted.

Thanks
                                David.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 6 users online. 0 members and 6 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X