No announcement yet.

Rad Daggers!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

TYler, I want to thank you to place the photo of my RAD Hewer here on the site!
    Thanks, Kurt

Comment

Any time Kurt!

Comment

Kurt, That is a great picture-book for your collection. Well done!

Tyler, these are looked upon as more of a tool than a dagger and many frown on calling them such. However, in the early days of the RAD the Leaders did wear these specifically as a dress sidearm and high ranking officers of the Rad such as Hierl continued to wear them well after the introduction of the 1937 pattern Leaders Hewer. Something tells me they preferred the early quality and pride in carrying such a massive weapon.

Here's another from my stash, my favorite.

Tim ---------->
        Attached Files

Comment

More scribble on the back. Looks like a oak tree in the middle of that circle.
          Attached Files

Comment

Excellent Hewer!!!

Yes I have seen high ranking RAD members still wearing there EM Hewers Such as in the photo below.

But also you say it is looked on as a tool
            It says in the book Labor Organizations of the Reich,
            "Contrary to propaganda of the period, the construction of the sidearm simply would not allow for any sustained or heavy blows to be struck with the blade."
            Attached Files

Comment

Great picture Tyler ! Your right, they would not make a good tool but they are not typical of a dagger style, ie: double edge. So, a lot of folks catagorise them under the "functional" catagory such as bayonets and Red Cross hewers, which would probably not even take 1 blow !, and not as a dagger which was designed to be a uniform dress piece, which of course these probably were also. Confused ? Me too !!

Comment

Hello,

Heres some pictures of my EM hewer-maker is the same as james-Ed Wusthof Solingen-I love the grips on this one-VERY clean and well fitting stag grips-the blade/handle have very few scuffs/scratches and is is in excellent shape-the only minus is the scabbard on this one-no dents or rust but only about %75 paint/laquer-This is one of my favorites also because of how i got it-The only piece I have ever bought(or found!) from an estate sale!

Yancy
                Attached Files

Comment

Hello,

Here are the other 3 pictures(thanks George!)I will try to take a scan of the maker mark tommarow.

Yancy

Comment

let me try that again!

Comment

I tried to attach all 3 pictures at the same time and it didnt work to good so..I guess i will post them 1 at a time!

Yancy

Comment

last one for now ill try to get the maker mark scan tommarow!

Yancy

Comment

Ive been waiting for your reply to this Yancy!
                          Great dagger! I love that shine on the fittings of the scabbard!
                          Thanks For sharing!

Comment

Ok I'm getting worried now,

I just grabbed a BIN Rad Hewer on eBay (yes I know deserve everything I get) made by Alcoso but it doesn't appear to have the triangular RAD proof mark. Were they all supposed to carry the mark?

Have I been stung?

Sorry about the poor Ebay pic but I haven't got my hands on the hewer yet.

Cheers
                            David.
                            At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

No pic?

I'll try again.

David.
                              Attached Files
                              At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Hello,

here is the maker mark on my Hewer-textbook example of a Ed Wusthof Solingen maker mark-the blade looks duller and darker in this picture-its from my scanner,yes i actually scanned the maker mark-not the best picture but it will work!Dave I will reserve judement untill you recieve the dagger and can post better ,close up pictures!(I think its not a good sign that the seller used such poor pictures-well see...)

Yancy
                                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 3 users online. 0 members and 3 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                                X