Engraved Family Sword ID??

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Engraved Family Sword ID??

I was contacted today by a Gent who said this Blade has been a Family "hand me down" for years . He does not want to sell it but ..he'd like to know a value and find out anything he could about it. I told him I don't deal with Imperial but would post it to see if any of you could help him out
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It is a Prussian M89 degan which looks to be to a Imperial guard by the crest on the handle. The crest on the pommel is most likely a family crest. The engraving on the handle is most likely the soldier it was given to along with the date. Its a real nice sword. Going by these pics depending on blade condition I would say worth somewhere between $700-$1000.
                      Cheers...Jeff

Comment

I find it odd that the guard star is on the wrong (reverse) side of the grip. Your sword was made by Clemen u. Jung and sold through the Berlin dealer shown on the obverse ricasso. I hope this is helpful.

Comment

It’s hard to fix an age for the modifications, but the engraving is not unusual for swords from that period. However, as was commented on, the Garde Star is on the inside which is not a normal location for a national/state or unit cipher. And the finger ring appears be a later addition. While the scabbard seems to have had a carrying ring removed and is now painted black (not uncommon for WW I reworks). Other than the grip/finger ring the sword appears to like many of its brethren from that era. FP

Comment

Thanks for chiming in Guys ..I already informed the Owner of everything that's been found about it. He really appreciated the help. It's great when our Forums can help people out like this !

Comment

nice sword!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X