SS marked K98 bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS marked K98 bayonet

There I am bored to death at a frilly estate sale, you know, dolls, china,,,kitchen crap,,,,yawn,,,,then there it is, a minty K98 bayonet, extremely clean matching scabbard, 44ffc maker, serialed 4856 e,,,and you flip it over get in good light and see what looks like a VA inside a double circle similar to RZM 401/38 with SS runes in another double circle,,,guy was a WWII vet but no story with this one, Im not a bayonet guy can someone tell me the maker and general value and hopefully is it actually authentic?
    Attached Files

Yep its missing a grip screw but that should be easy to replace, bakelite grips clear file marks, shiny spot on blade in first pick is flash where file marks change angle
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Waffenampt

Has a Waa 310 or 510 on pommel.
        Attached Files

Comment

Frog

Congrats.

What a nice find, the leather frog looks original to me, and would cost arround 150-200$.
          Do you wanna sell ?

Regards

Comment

Bayonet

Everything I have is for sale, its just a matter of price, minty matching bayonet with SS frog,,,,,,,,got to do better than that and this is the wrong forum.
            Last edited by Steve Flanagan; 05-12-2007, 09:42 PM.

Comment

From what I can see the frog looks to be OK to me also, although somebody may have dyed/messed around with it a little at some point (?). But it does not look right with that particular bayonet. An early frog with a late 1944 dated German Army issue bayonet (by F. Herder) simply does not match up all other things being equal. The reason being that frogs usually wore out before bayonets. So while a late frog with an earlier bayonet is not uncommon. But not (normally) the other way around.

As for the bayonet itself the missing grip screw is at best a minor annoyance. A little more troubling is the scabbard bluing that does not seem to match up to the blade/handle - but that could just be the lighting (?). Still at the end of the day, even with some possible faults, not a bad find. FP

Comment

K98

I think its the photos, the finish tone is the same perhaps just different quality of steel, frog will not come off so if it was changed out it must have been softened.
                Attached Files

Comment

Frog front

Better front shot
                  Attached Files

Comment

back

back
                    Attached Files

Comment

Late bayonets are an admixture of finishing techniques, with my “d” block ffc scabbard having what appears to be is a pickled (acid bath) pretreatment underneath the bluing. Unfortunately none of the images so far gives me a solid feel for the bayonet presented here. Lighting is one of the things that I have a number of problems with myself so I’m not criticizing - just expressing my opinion from what I seem to be seeing. Likewise for the frog I think that the first images were probably the best, with the latest ones a little too far away to get a better feel for it. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X