David Hiorth

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Polizei bajonett woth SS markings, real?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Polizei bajonett woth SS markings, real?

I have never seen this kind of marking on a polizei bajonet. What do you think?
    Thanks in advanced
    Mike
    Attached Files

eagle
    Attached Files

Comment

Maker mark
      Attached Files

Comment

SS marking
        Attached Files

Comment

The intertwined runics withinn a hexagon is the mark used by SS Professor Diebitch. The items he designed, ie; SS Degan, chain for SS dagger, etc are marked with his mark. He certainly DID NOT design the bayonet. The mark, on this bayonet, is spurious and I would venture to say that the police eagle, on the grip, is a post-war addition, if not the entire bayonet.

Bob Hritz
          In the land of the blind, the one eyed man is king.

Duct tape can't fix stupid, but it can muffle the sound.

Comment

I agree with Bob that this bayonet has nothing to do with either the SS or the police. Fake SS markings and a fake police eagle have been added to a late war Eickhorn KS98 bayonet in order to make a slow moving item more saleable. Now the bayonet has been ruined by the fakers and the whole has no value at all.

Comment

The marking does not look good to me either. And I don’t think that he designed the bayonet - but I do have a difference of opinion with the interpretation of the intertwined SS as being Prof Diebitsch’s “personal mark”. (I know that some English language writers have credited Diebitsch with various achievements. But have never seen a period German reference to support some of their statements. Conversely, Joe Wotka in Tom Wittmann’s book, revealed that the marking in some period publications was called an SS “Kulturzeichen”. Some things to consider:

** There are number of variations of the marking, and SS and some (but not all) German Police Degens from Soilngen have the marking. As do the hilt fittings for the custom made SS ‘Birthday’ swords.

** The same style SS swords made in Dachau have no “personal mark”. Why is that??

** Did he design the chain for the M1936 dagger? No period German reference that I know of gives him credit for that, and the chain itself looks a lot like the SS Gorget chain which has no “personal mark”.

** The “personal mark” from various time periods is found on Allach made ceramics. Ceramics which in fact are named to other individuals. I have also seen ceramics with Diebitsch’s name on them (as well as the “mark”). Although I don't know if it was actually him as the designer of the ceramic, or a relative with the same name (?).

I am not saying that the bayonet is good. Only pointing out that this particular line of reasoning does not seem to be supported by any discernible evidence other than some non-period author’s statements. Which sometimes seem to be copied from each other..... (?). FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X