Questions about some bayonets.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about some bayonets.

I just picked up a grouping today and wondered about a couple of things. The first picture is of a couple of 44 dated 98ks, Both have brown frogs. The one as you can see has a wide. frog. Is it a WWI Butcher bayonet frog? There is a circle on the back but I can't read it. Even the narrow frog doesn't look standard.

The third photo is, I think, an Austrian WWI bayonet? Am I right? Does anyone know what model it is? It has a double headed eagle marking and LAR1 on top.
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Dennis White; 05-06-2007, 03:17 AM.

Back
    Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Would the frogs from picture 1 be Austrian too? Or would they be some kind of last ditch volkstrum kind of thing?

Comment

Hi Dennis,

I think your guess about the frogs being Austrian could be right but there are so many variations that you would need someone who ownes the booklets of Paul Carter about bayonet beltfrogs to be sure.

The scabbard and frog on the Austrian type bayonet look like Italian to me.
          All the best, Eric

Comment

Thanks. You're right that looks just like the short sword etc. Italian bayonet scabbard. The bayonet looks like a Manlicher WWI Austrian though (also it has a double eagle mark which I don't believe Italy had) However they are neighboors so it is possible they ened up getting swithed or something in the Italian front or late war neccesity. If anyone else has an opinion on the frogs let me know.
            Last edited by Dennis White; 05-06-2007, 09:24 PM.

Comment

Hello, could You send more info about the bayonet markings? the first 2 frogs could be austrian or bulgarian, the left one is probably for earlier model, the right one for M95 bayonet, the third piece have a nice italian frog with M1891 scabbard, that was probably shortened? The bayo is a M1895 austrian probably. best regards,Andy

Comment

Thanks Andy -- The one with the narrow frog is marked COF 44 on one side and numbered 2535 with an m on the other side wirh a Waffenampt looks like 510 on top. The other (wide one) 98 has a personalized frog (initials VN). The bayonet is marked the same date and maker mark with a 0594 V on the other side. Also waffenampted.

The Austrian one has LAR1 on top. Also CE over WS with a stamp (looks like a bush) on one side and the other side looks like as doubleheaded eagle to me.

This grouping also included a well used 42 dated army belt and buckle, a HJ belt and buckle, a HJ buckle, a denazified Luftwaffe buckle, and a 37 dated 98k bayonet -- badly rusted.
                Last edited by Dennis White; 05-10-2007, 08:20 AM.

Comment

Thanks for details, both are very nice late war Carl Eickhorn pieces, made in 1944 under cof code, the WaA519 should be on both pommels, but sometimes its hard to see, the austrian was made in Steyr, and the armory was stamped with OE/WG, when there is only one eagle with crown then the unit could be Landwehr Artillery Regiment nr.1. best regards,Andy
                  Last edited by AndyB; 05-11-2007, 01:27 AM.

Comment

Do you think the Ausrtrian one was put together in WWI or WWII? It seems odd to have an Austrian bayonet paired with an Italian scabbard in WWI because they were on opposite sides but not in WWII if it was a last ditch.
                    Last edited by Dennis White; 05-14-2007, 08:37 AM.

Comment

It could be that a italian have this as a rememberance piece of WW1? Or it was put together later.best regards,Andy

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                      X