Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Knot

Dear All,

Can I have some info on this SS knot. What blade would it go on, and, if possible, what is the value of the know and the corresponding edged weapon (just a rough ball park number on hte latter).

Thanks and

Best regards,

Albert
    Attached Files

Albert,this is an SS officers sword knot. looks okay to me. Price is around $800 last time I looked. An officers sword would cost you from $5000 up depending on if it was early,mid or late production and condition of course. Put aside $8000 for a nice early one with knot.

Comment

Originally posted by Jon Fish View Post
      Albert,this is an SS officers sword knot. looks okay to me. Price is around $800 last time I looked. An officers sword would cost you from $5000 up depending on if it was early,mid or late production and condition of course. Put aside $8000 for a nice early one with knot.
      Jon, thanks for putting a painfull end to my plans of completing the set. No, just kidding, I got the kow and figured if it's for a bayo or something cheap I would try find one. No way I am getting into the expensive world of officer stuf...
      Al

Comment

Albert,
        It appears from your photo that there are a couple of spots where chord has separated and you can see the material underneath. One good test of originality is whether or not the material under the chord glows under blacklight. When Tom Johnson started making reproduction knots years ago he intentionally put material under the chords that would glow to prevent them from being sold as originals. It's not a definative test, but it's a good start.
        Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Lipps View Post
          Albert,
          It appears from your photo that there are a couple of spots where chord has separated and you can see the material underneath. One good test of originality is whether or not the material under the chord glows under blacklight. When Tom Johnson started making reproduction knots years ago he intentionally put material under the chords that would glow to prevent them from being sold as originals. It's not a definative test, but it's a good start.
          Larry,
          Just checked it and it doesn't glow. I would've been surprised if it did, as it came from a private source.
          Al

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X