MedalsMilitary

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Long Dress Bayonet with an unusual blade ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Long Dress Bayonet with an unusual blade ...

Hello guys,

I just won the following dress bayonet in an auction today. I bought it primarily because of the blade which has the ridge and tip most comonly seen on short dress bayonets. Would you say it's a rather uncommon piece? I think it is.

There is no maker mark, it says : "Garantie Stahl"
    I will post more pictures later.

JAN
    Last edited by jancz3rt; 02-15-2007, 05:26 PM.

Very interesting looking piece, looks like an early production piece based on the length of the blade and apparent composition of the grip plates. Are the grip plates a darkened wood type of material, different from the ordinary bakelite? What's the blade length?

I believe I've seen similar pieces with the early Paul Weyersberg logo, is there a maker's mark on it?

Comment

Hey

Thanks for the reply. The grips, as far as I know, are from bakelite. The crossguards are iron with nickel plating according to the seller. I have yet to receive the bayonet and will post detailed pictures as soon as I get it. There is no maker mark, only the word: Garantie Stahl.

There are more pictures of it available here: http://www.aukro.cz/item165724346_pr...y_bayonet.html

JAN

Comment

Jan,
        Nice catch - definately a keeper!
        This is an interesting variation that isn't often encountered. I've seen four or five of these over the years and all had the "Guarantie Stahl" stamp on the quillion. Does anyone know who made these?
        Here is mine - sorry for the bad picture - if the snow ever melts, I'll try to take a picture in natural light.
        Attached Files

Comment

Denny,

Great piece too. I can't tell from the pics but does the pommel look like an Eick to you? You've got a plethora of pieces, can you do a quick spot check to see what pommel it resembles?

I had thought this was a variation of one of those early Paweco Polizei/Zoll pieces.

Comment

Nice bayonet!

I have a similar long bladed bayonet with the NCO style false edge. Mine has stag grips and is marked with the WKC logo.

Tony
            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

As promised...

As promised, here's my dress bayonet. Arrived today so I quickly took some pictures for those of you who are interested in this variant. The grips are interesting because they are not bakelite (which I thought was originally the case. It is indeed some other darkened material as suggested by Billy G). It's from cast iron and the blade has that unusual design seen in short KS98 bayonets. As well as that, note the large ball at the end of the scabbard. Larger than on later pieces.

It's identical to the one posted above.

JAN
              Last edited by jancz3rt; 02-23-2007, 04:23 PM.

Comment

Update

Hey guys, I wanted to ask whether someone knows who made the above discussed. The only marking is "GARANTIE STAHL". This is the only info I could find:

Non-TM or distributor markings

Garantie, Solingen
                Garantie Stahl

I do not know what Non-TM means. Could anyone help here?

JAN

Comment

Jan,

The posting you refer to is from Terry Kissinger's list of bayonet trademarks on GD, I believe "non TN" refers to non trademarked items. As far as we can tell, "Garantie Stahl" or "Garantie Solingen" were generic stampings that appeared on period bayonets, they merely refer to the piece's composition (steel) & the piece's place of origin (Solingen). The only way you'd be able to decipher a particular maker on such a piece would be from other evidence like pommel shape. A tough thing to find out with so little evidence though, sorry.

Comment

Thanks

Thanks again I was just trying my luck but I guess I can live with not knowing who the maker was. In a way, it makes it more special.

JAN

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X