X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Well?
    Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

I do not agree with Colorado observation too.
      I have also the army dagger and the portpee is different: much shorter.
      On the obverse side the reef knot is done according to rules and other pictures.
      Unfortunatelly I cannot post picture of it for your review as I do not own a digital camera and I had to use the picture from D.
      Ciao

Comment

KM Dagger

Hello,
        I will toss in my 2 cents. It looks like a KM portapee and not an army one.

My KM dagger is tied the same as those pictured.

I will try to supply pictures later.
        Regards,
        Jody

Comment

Hi:

You all can call me wrong, no problem and maybe I need glasses. However, if you are using Frank's as a reference, I believe that is an Army tie too. KM ties are different. Look at the example Sniggly posted, that is a reef tie. A rear shot would plainly show the difference. On the back it will look different that those others posted. Note the tie around the crossguard it is completely different is all I can say.

Those ties take 2-3 minutes tops to do. The reef tie shown by Sniggly can take forever.
          Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Apparently I wasn't very clear in my post. The side-by-side comparison photo I posted shows the reverse side of my dagger with the reef knot. The point I was trying to make is that a reverse photo or my dagger with a reef knot on the front looks identical to Frank’s dagger from the back. From the reverse side you can't see any of the diagonal features of the tie.
            Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

I agree with Snigley that ther is no way to tell from the reverse if the knot on Frank's dagger is tied in the proper (reef knot) manner. I have seen the dagger in question from Snigley's collection and it is tied corectly, as are the ones in my personal collection. All appear the same from the reverse.

The Heer (Army) and Kriegsmarine (Navy) used the same knot, they were just tied differently. Occasionally, you will find a Navy dagger with a nylon - as opposed to an early silver or later aluminum - knot, but they both feature the 42cm cord. The only shorter dagger portepee was the 23cm cord length cord version, correct for the 1st & 2nd Model Luftwaffe and TeNo Officer daggers. The Government and Diplomatic officials daggers were generally paired up with a portepee with a smaller "acorn" knot and a smaller diameter cord, but the length was still about 42cm.

Hope that helps to clear things up a bit!

Best,
              Skip

Comment

Then it's agreed "I NEED GLASSES!"

Comment

Interesting thread. I believe there is another portepee length commonly found on early Navy daggers, also some chained SS and much later made from nylon found on Kriegs daggers which is about 2" longer than the standard Army, DRK leader or Land Customs. Yes the 42" is commonly found on Kriegs but I think what was going on is that the longer version was produced specifically for the Navy in order to make it easier to tie the knot. What they bought in stores and put on their daggers could come down to availability. Just a theory of mine and there is NO evidence.

Here's a picture of both on the dagger tied correctly. The 42" is the aluminium and the longer the early bullion.

Front ---------->
                  Attached Files

Comment

Reverse.
                    Attached Files

Comment

Sweet looking KM Loggy. Is that an Eickhorn?

Comment

Thanks Colorado. Yes, the one with the bullion portepee is Eickhorn and the other a Horster with ivory grip.

Tim ---->

Comment

Hi,here's a original tied knot
                          Merdock

Comment

back
                            Attached Files

Comment

The other side of the moon

Can you imagine it!
                              I just bought the digital camera for you !!!
                              To show the famous "other side of the moon".
                              My Pics aren't yet high quality but 'reef knot" is fine.
                              Ciao

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on 09-28-2024.

Working...
                              X