Officer's Sword ... opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Officer's Sword ... opinions please

Hello, may I please have some opinions on this early officer's sword.

The only thing that makes me nervous is the flatness of the engraving and the fact that the makers markings are about worn off. Also if authentic, would it be a fine deal for $350?

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Nothing to worry about. The sword is fine. $350 is a fair price. I like the engraved eagles as opposed to cast on some sabers. Overall, pretty decent saber

Comment

So the shallow quality of the Eagle is nothing to worry about then, thanks.

Does anyone have any input about this one or its price?

Comment

I agree that you have nothing to worry about regarding the eagle. It actually has a nice look. What I might worry more about at $350 is whether the grip wire, which appears to be coming loose in spots, will remain on the grip. Secondly, you do not show the blade but the small portion shown seems to indicate considerable greying. You can still find these swords with pristine mirror bright blades...something to consider!

Great collecting,

William

Comment

No. Don't worry about it. The saber looks to be an Alcoso dovehead variation. I like the ornate looking scroll work on the hilt.

William brings up a valid point regarding the blade. In poor condition, it will certainly detract from it's value.

Comment

Well it does seem pretty greyed... and as I said before the makers mark is stated as being quite hard to read. So yes, I'm guessing its in somewhat bad shape.

Comment

Grip wire can be replaced...it won't be period grip wire, but if it's just for your display it's something to think about. If the blade has pitting or spotting, get the seller to bring the price down some. Tiger from this forum makes some dynomite repro gripwire. On dovehead style sabers, replacing grip wire is easy. You just would be morally obligated to disclose that if and when you were to resell the saber.

Food for thought. If you want a nice piece that you don't have to make excuses for, save you money. Spend another $50 if pick another one up. Bob Grant over at GDC as well Houston Coates, often lists beautiful sabers at very very competetive prices. I picked up a screamer from here a few weeks ago at a very nice price as well.

Hate to say it, but eFart has had some nice ones go for very decent prices as well lately. I picked a few really nice sabers up recently there for some nice prices in prior weeks.
                  Hope this helps,
                  Tom

Comment

Yeah thanks.... I think I'm probably going to pass os this one. Blade damage does bother me and frankly another $50 wouldn't hurt too bad.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                    X