Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Dagger opinions?

Hi,
    Would it be possible to get any opinions on this Arny Dagger please?
    It's marked E&F Horster-Solingen and has an exellent blade.It shows some corrosion to the Eagle but otherwise seems ok.
    Many thanks,Lynton.
    Attached Files

Next..
    Attached Files

Comment

Next...
      Attached Files

Comment

Maker Mark.
        Attached Files

Comment

Scabbard.
          Attached Files

Comment

Scabbard 2.
            Attached Files

Comment

Hi Lynton, although I think it is original, I would pass on this one given the overall condition. I wonder if this is one made up from parts given the different wear exhibited on different parts? Army daggers are not hard to find and you can do better than this one.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

dagger

I agree I think its been put together . Best regards

Comment

Hi Ade and Dav..
                  Thanks for your help-I think I will give it a miss-I was being offered it with some other items and think i will return this and wait.
                  many thanks,Lynton.

Comment

Hello Lynton,
                    i mean your dagger is 100% genuine.You say there are corrosion on the item , but i see you have here a very rare aluminium army issue !That is rare and very seldom seen on daggers with Hörster maker-marks.Congrats.

Grüße.

Comment

At least they got the parts correct, thats a Horster crossguard but good advice from Adrian, the wear is not consistent....its also not an aluminium !

Comment

It doesn't look like aluminum.
                        It looks like the crossguard and pommel have a great deal of plating loss, revealing the pot metal beneath.
                        This is apparent in image #4.
                        Whereas the ferrule and scabbard seem to have more plate remaining.
                        It's just my opinion, but I would have to call this piece a parts dagger.
                        Sorry.

Comment

Ferrule and scabbard is an other cast metall , the scabbard is in steel and the ferrule in steel or brass .For me is the colour of x-guard and pommel aluminium.Lynton can take a look at this.

Comment

IMO this dagger is not a parts piece.

What I see is a dagger that had the hilt fittings overpolished and/or treated with a chemical dip to clean it. I agree that it looks like hell. Too bad as it looked to be a nice dagger before being impaired thru careless or uninformed cleaning.

If you look carefully you will see some of the original plating still in the various recesses of the crossguard and pommel. The 'frosting' seen on parts of the scabbard is probably remnants of the laquer useed by the factory to prevent tarnish and keep the product looking bright.

I don't think the base metal is aluminum, it looks more like feinzink, a slighlty better(?) metal than the later war or potmetal but not as good as brass, tombak or neusilber. If I remember correctly E.Pack and Sohne and SMF were the only makers that experimented for a short time with aluminum for hilt fittings.

Just some thoughts,

Tony
                            Last edited by Tiger 1; 01-25-2007, 12:57 PM.
                            An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X