Storing blade in or ot of scabbard?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Storing blade in or ot of scabbard?

I've just been discussing this with other collectors. Some say storing the blade in the scabbard protects it & others say it causes runner marks. I guess it depends on whether the blade & scabbard are clean to begin with? Or maybe the price of the dagger? A diplomatic or SS dagger might be treated more carefully than an Army? What do you think?

I store mine OUT.

Comment

I think most will say it is best to store them out of the scabbard. I do both, but that is because of the display. But I think if you wipe the blade with a clean cotton rag from time to time and store it in a dry environment that will be good enough.

Cheers
      Lassi

Comment

Personnaly I think to store it out of the scabbard is the best. The runners might be useful for holding the dagger in place, but when their from steel they could have influence on the surface of the blade. The runners made of brass (like for the SA) could do no harm. But if you check your blades a few times each year there is no big problem to let them in the scabbard. It's a little bit the same story like for a modern hunting knife. The leather frog for carrying the knive is in fact not so good for storing the knive for several yearsl. The acid in the leather is not very good for the blade.

Regards, Theo
        Freedom is not for Free

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
        X