Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Advice on buying a second pattern Luftwaffe Dagger

Gentlemen

Could anyone give me some advice about what would constitute a good representative 2nd pattern Luftwaffe dagger. This is for a display with Luftwaffe badges & documents. The documents start at 1938 so a wartime production one is not what I am looking for.

I haven't touched a German dagger in the last 9 years & haven't bought one for at least 13!!

I do not currently have any of the new references', but will probably be buying the Wittman Luft book.

What I would like opinions on are:

Maker
    Condition? should it still have the gold swaz?
    Material type (I cannot remember if the gray type is later issue??)
    Price with or without hangers

Any help in this would be gratefully accepted & much appreciated.

Regards,

Neil

Hi Neil,
    All I can offer is what I like. I am sold on anything Eickhorn and I like the yellow or orange handles. But, all the daggers are nice and of good quality. Just purchase the best condition dagger you can afford. I don't think that all 2nd Model Luftwaffe daggers had gold swastikas and I, like you, think the grey metal daggers are of later production. I am unable to help you on prices. I have had mine for many years. I hope that this helps in some small way.
    Best Regards,
    Dick

Comment

Neil, finding gold on the pommel will be the exception rather than the rule. My personal favorite is SMF because they have the Waffenampt acceptance stamp on the blade and aluminum scabbard fittings. Generally too much trouble to go to for those people who make fakes to duplicate. I would think $500 would get you a good example for display.
      Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Neil,

I would go with Eickhorn, WKC or SMF because you are likely to have more to choose from. You would probably best be served with one of the earlier, silver finished daggers. Personally, I can take or leave the gold on the swsstikas - I wouldn't be overly concerned with that. A really nice dagger should run you about $550.00 - $650.00 without hangers. Add another $150.00 - $175.00 for nice hangers.

Good luck. Nine to thirteen years is a long time...welcome back!

Skip

Comment

Thanks guys.

Now to find a good one!!

Regards,

Neil

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X