Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need help with dentend bayonet scabbard

Hi guys,

I recently purchased a bayonet, scabbard, and frog from Ebay with the intent on using them for reenacting. The frog is a dark brown and works neat with my FJ reenacting impression. I haven't seen many like it. (Probably because it's totally incorrect and I have no idea haha) Anyway, the scabbard has a deep dent in the front about halfway down. Here's a pic:
    [IMG][/IMG]

The bayonet goes in and out okay with a little resistance and obviously rubs on the inside of the dent because it's worn off the bluing. Part of me likes the dent because I assume it was combat damage but the other part of me thinks it's ugly.

What's the best way to repair this damage if I decide to try? Is this a common problem? Oh, by the way = they are non matching and very worn so that's why I picked this set. Some of our equipment has to be original, but I don't see any sense in destroying nice stuff.

Thanks,
    Craig
    FJ Pi Btl 1
    www.greendevils.com

Not that I am highly knowledgable, but from things I have read in my travels, this "dent" was out in the scabbard on purpose by the German soldiers. Normally it was put halfway down the scabbard in order to make sure the bayonet did not rattle in the battlefield.

I understand it is not uncommon for K98's to have this dent.

Look forward to seeing what others have to say!

Comment

Hello, could You send details about the bayonet and scabbard, maker mark and serial numbers with letters, the possiblity of repair the scabbard is using of original mandrel or something similar. It should be used after dissasembly of mouth piece and inner springs. best regards,Andy

Comment

Andy,

Here is the info from the 3 pieces.

Bayonet with dark bakelite grips:
        b (or upside down q - it has a flat line on top of the "b")
        opposite side:
        WaA 255 stamped twice at top of handle
        Coppel Gmb H

Scabbard:
        a
        opposite side:
        J. Sch

Frog:
        At the bottom on the back side, there's an imprinted logo. The logo is a circle made up of small lines in a radius from the center. In the middle of the circle it says 1938 and there is a manufacturer's name in under it. The stamp is so faint I probably won't be able to read it unless someone gives me some clues to what it could be.

Hope this is interesting to you and some of the other guys. If it was MP44 info I'd get a kick out of it so I'm sure the bayonet guys like seeing this stuff.

Any idea where I could borrow a mandrel, or is one easily made?

Craig

Comment

Thanks Craig for details, the bayonet should be have date on spine of blade, probably 39 or 40 stamped? WaA253 on pommel, produced by Coppel ,Solingen, the scabbard was made by Jetter&Scheerer,Tuttlingen in 1940.On ball finial probably E/655 proofed. The frog is older from prewar period. Any members have realised some dents with ice in body of scabbard, i preffer making a tool, that You could remove the large dent. but it must not look like new,some piece of iron would be great with correct thickness. You have the dent not on end of scabbard , so You must not shape the point.best regards,Andy

Comment

Andy,

You are correct - 655 on the ball of the scabbard (very hard to read), and I was probably incorrect on the other WaA stamp as well, it could be 253. The spine of the blade says 40 at the very bottom.

Craig

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X