The design of the RAD dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The design of the RAD dagger

Were did the design of this amazing dagger come from? What was it used for? I once heard it was used for a hatchet is this true? Thanks ALLOT!!!

Last edited by Tyler Ramsey; 05-29-2003, 12:23 AM.

A hatchet -- NOT!

I don't know who designed it, but according to Angolia and Littlejohn in their book Labor Organizations of the Reich, "Contrary to propaganda of the period, the construction of the sidearm simply would not allow for any sustained or heavy blows to be struck with the blade."
    George

Comment

The firemen had the axes.

I always thought these RAD hewers look liked they belonged in a butcher shop.

Accidentally offending people on the internet since 1997

Comment

You know i was thinking , I noticed that the SS and SA daggers were basically copied off of old German hunting daggers. And I thought to myself "maybe the story is similar to the RAD hewer." so I started to look up some medieval weapons and I came across one that fits the description. The Falchion . The Falchion was a woodsman tool that was adapted for military use, in the same was many weapons were based off of tools. The Falchion was a bladed weapon that combined the Impact power of an Axe, and the control of a sword. It was used by Germany, Scotland, Italy, France, etc.

Could they have taken this weapon and simply maken it smaller and the refine it a bit?
        Attached Files

Comment

In "Edged Weapons of Hitler's Germany" Lumsden has it that the hewer was designed by Paul Casberg based on an old German woodcutting hatchet. There is a definite resemblance to the Falchion which as you stated was an adapted woodcutters tool.

Cheers
          David.
          At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X