Need Help Identifying and dating Marker Mark

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need Help Identifying and dating Marker Mark

This is a maker mark on a Forestry Cutlass that I have never been able to identify. Now that I am a member I am hoping that someone out there can identify this maker mark and help date the cutlass. I think it is pre-WWII.

Thanks in advance for your help

John

Clemen&Jung,Solingen

Comment

John,

This tm was used for quite a while. Can you show us the front side of the complete hilt for a better means of identifying the time frame? Maybe the blade etch also? Other detail shots would also help.

Thanks ,

Tony
      An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Originally posted by Tiger 1
        John,

This tm was used for quite a while. Can you show us the front side of the complete hilt for a better means of identifying the time frame? Maybe the blade etch also? Other detail shots would also help.

Thanks ,

Tony
        Tony here are two more pics. I hope they will help in dating the piece. The blade is quite worn eavenly along its whole length. Looks like it had lots of use.

John

Comment

John,

Thanks for the extra pics.

While it is hard to get it down to a specific date, the acorns on the handle suggest that your hanger was from the Imperial era. The Weimar era is a possibilty at the latest but the 'look' and amount of wear suggests a bit earlier.

Clemen & Jung was founded in 1860. It was registered in 1876 in the Solingen cutlery trade. I don't think your hanger is quite that early as the crowned shield logo was not acquired and registered by C&J until 1898. A fairly safe bet would be somewhere from the late 1890s thru 1930's or so.

Regardless it is a nice piece to have in one's collection.

Tony
          An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.

"First ponder, then dare." von Moltke

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X