ss dress bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

ss dress bayonet

hi, could i please have your opinon on this ss dress bayonet and what price it should sell for. i thank you in advance,lar
    Attached Files

Picture 2
    Attached Files

Comment

Picture 3
      Attached Files

Comment

Picture 4
        Attached Files

Comment

Picture 5
          Attached Files

Comment

Original/authentic bayonets like this are extremely rare, and should be viewed with a great deal of caution/skepticisim since there are far more fakes/reproductions than real ones. On something like this, I'd want opinions from the top 5 blade experts in this field, and an iron-clad return policy before I'd even consider dumping the kind of $$$ a real one of these would command. Just my humble oinion.

Scott

Comment

I completely agree with Scott, any SS bayonet would be extremely rare. The fakes outnumber the originals by far. What is also something to be considered here is the fact this bayonet has the spanner nuts making the removal of the blade for a possible post war etch extremely easy.

I would certainly recommend asking for high resolution pictures showing closer details of the etch.

Comment

I totally agree with the others comments.

I would also check out this link...
                http://www.wwiidaggers.com/SDBAY.htm

I would also consider sending it in to be appraised. This man is one of the best in the field of daggers.

Just my humble opinion.

JasonS

Comment

That is not my X-bayonet. So, that means it is fake! I owned the only known original extched SS bayonet known to exist and this is nothing like it. As a side note, a circle around the runes is a no-no on these.
                  Best Wishes,
                  Bob
                  www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

I have yet to see an engraved SS bayonet that I could be convinced was the real deal. I can't point to anything specific, but the odds of finding a real one would be something akin to being struck by lightningat teh exact moment you found the proverbial needle in the haystack. To make matters worse, they are virtually impossible to sell.

Sorry I can't be more encouraging,

SKip

Comment

Larry, If you look at the excellent engraved bayonets in Wayne Techete's reference book, you'll see some very common mistakes that are made with post war done pieces. You'll be able to pick out where the etch runs out on these post war pieces, breaks in the design and pattern, etc. A bunch of these were done in England early on with most performed on regular K98 bayonets. Even in Wayne's informative reference, I don't believe that there is an SS bayonet in there. Coupled with the fact that the one that you show even has Hitler's signature on it and some other very large blantant SS symbols and dedication, I truly would have some serious doubt at to this piece being of the 3rd Reich period. If you would like, I may be able to take a couple of shots from Wayne's book to further explain some of the common faults with post war etches. JR

Comment

Hi JR!
                        I need to buy Wayne’s book although Jim does have it, nice piece of work! I am pretty sure I saw the Etched SS bayonet I vet purchased on a hotel buy perhaps 5 years ago. We bought it with a Postal leaders dagger. The vet told us that he obtained the bayonet because he found it lying in the street.
                        Best Wishes,
                        Bob
                        www.collectortocollectormilitaria.com

sigpic

Comment

Definitely a fantasy piece--the etch appears physically well done but ridiculous in nature--nothing that would have been done during the pre45 period. Also, the type face, or font, used shows differences from those used during the period. I would say that you could probably sell it for $175.00 to 225.00 as a curiousity piece.
                          Erich
                          Festina lente!

Comment

SS Bayonet

Skipper! Skipper! How can you say that you haven't seen an original SS Bayonet? If you will look in my book: "German Clamshells and Other Bayonets" you will see the presentation Pack Panzer bayonet to Hermann Weiser, Sepp's adjutant. I know it is an SS attributed engraved bayonet and came out of the woodwork in the 1960s.
                            Ron Weinand
                            Weinand Militaria

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There are currently 2 users online. 0 members and 2 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X