Mundlos Bayonet and Two Bavarian Swords Found at Antique Mall

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Mundlos Bayonet and Two Bavarian Swords Found at Antique Mall

I need some help. I am out in Iowa on vacation and yesterday we went to an antuique mall. While there, I found a case containing some militaria.

I found a very nice German bayonet. It was selling for $425 and I would like to know more about it and what it is worth. It had a dark blade (grey color) and had darker charcoal colored engraving that said something like this: "Sondershauten Aufkl. Abtlg." It was very fancy so I may have misspelled the engraving a bit. There were numbers on both the scabbard and the bayonet, but they did not match. The scabbard said Munlos 37 so I assume it was a 1937 model? I was also able to read "Coppel GmbH" on the bayonet itself. These are two different comapnies, no? Maybe the scabbard doesnt match the baqonet?

There were also two Bavarian swords, one in very good shape and with a scabbard, the other in very good shape except for some pitting near the end of the blade. I don't know too much about the swords, and I couldn't find any obvious makers marks or numbers to tell you guys about. The prices were around $100-$125 for each of them. One of them had some sort of marking like "4/2 Komp". The tag said it was unit identified, so maybe that was a unit ID? Kompanie? The one was a really nice piece. Any ideas of what I could look for to see if they were legit and good prices?

Any info would be greatly appreciated. It was a very nice piece and in great shape... I may buy it if it is worth the price.

Thanks,

Jim
    Last edited by Calaski8123; 04-02-2006, 11:27 AM.

Jim,

I'm not a combat bayonet guy at all but I'm sure one of the other members can assist on that piece. As far as the Bayern swords go, without a better description I think we'd need a picture or two to be able to tell you if the price is right. Any way you can snap a picture and upload it to the thread?

Comment

Mundlos bayonet

Jim,
      You can save your money on the bayonet. During the 1970's, A large number of WW2 era German combat bayonets were engraved with all sorts of unit designations. The engraving was done very well. The bayonet that you saw is one of them. The maker's names and serial numbers on both the bayonet and scabbard gave it away. This type of engraving on a bayonet owned by the German government during the Third Reich would have been frowned upon and I'm sure there would have been some sort of penalty involved if caught.Hope this helps.
      John Allen

Comment

Hey guys,

I have since purchased one of the swords. Here are pics of the swords and bayonets at the mall:

Here are some pics of the sword and the dagger.
        The sword I bought:

The bayonet I was looking at:

Another bayonet: (only $26 - Described as 1920-1940's ERA Mauser Bayonet)

Another WWI sword I was looking at:

Another:

Tiger Solingen Bayonet:

Any thoughts or info on these items would be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
        Jim

Comment

ww1 swords

would it be possiable to get one of the ww1 swords from ya or are you going to keep all those long blades for yourself? Let me know. Matt

Comment

Hi Matt,

As of right now, I have only purchased one of the blades, the first one with the scabbard. The other two are just the blades and I have not purchased them.... yet.

If you were interested, I would be happy to help you with the purchase. I will be in Iowa again the beginning of May and I am driving Route 80 all the way home to NJ, so assuming you were along the way, I could meet you if you like. Otherwise I would be happy to ship.

I still am considering buying the other two, but at this point I am leaning agaisnt it.

PM me or email me if you want to discuss further.

Jim

Comment

That tiger dress bayonet is a tough one to find with the stag grips.That would be my choice...

Comment

Really? I posted this to some other forums and a lot of people replied that they felt the Tiger was "doctored". They said the rivets looked "too good" and that they didn't like the space between the blade and the grips. The Tiger was either $150 or $175, I don't remember...

Jim

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X