Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Dagger Advice please

Dear All,

I've been offered this dagger. Story is that it comes from an old collection and has not been taken apart. Seller, 100% trustworthy, says he does not want the original condition to be changed so I cannot take it apart for detail pictures. Please let me kow what you think. Also, a price range would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance and

Best regards,

Albert
    Attached Files

Detail of etched logo:
    Attached Files
    Last edited by Albert; 03-13-2006, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Front Grip Detail. Guards are plated zinc the eagle is Nickelsilver. No damage to the tight sitting wood:
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Albert; 03-13-2006, 04:58 AM.

Comment

Detail of back side of grip. Some bubbling to the plating. No unit/region mark:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Albert; 03-13-2006, 04:59 AM.

Comment

Detail of markings. Correct for WKC and this period?:
          Attached Files

Comment

All looks good to me.

Comment

it looks good but not mint, so i would say the price should be between $1400 to $1900. but who knows some people will pay anything now a days for any ss dagger.
              jim

Comment

"sdp", Thanks a lot!

Please guys, anymore comments. I have the dagger at my place and can make more photos. Just let me know if you need to see any additional detail. I need to make up my mind till tomorrow. So, please help me out with this one as I am not a dagger guy and this would be my first SS.

Also, is the price of "around" EUR 2000 ok for it. Knowing this guy, "around" can mean only more... but not less than the EUR 2000

Thanks,

Al

Comment

Thanks Jim,

We were typing at the same time. I am afraid his asking price will be higher; considering the exchange rate even much higher. I guess I should pass then...

Albert

Comment

Originally posted by Albert
                    Thanks Jim,

We were typing at the same time. I am afraid his asking price will be higher; considering the exchange rate even much higher. I guess I should pass then...

Albert
                    I would definitely pass. but can you give me his phone number? I want it!! (just kidding)
                    I don't want to make that call for you. if it lights you up, buy it!
                    or wait and look around a bit.
                    jim

Comment

The condition of this dagger is average. As you can see, the plating is coming off from the crossguards. The grip looks nice except for that repair job (?) around the eagle. The blade doesn't look that great. I cannot comment on the scabbard.

In my opinion, I think you should pass. Save up your money for a minty piece worthy of a great collection.

Comment

Thanks again guys!

Wiz, the eagle is not repaired. With all your guys' input the dagger checks out 100%. The dagger has most of its original paint so I did not even pst any close ups.

I have decided to pass for the quoted price and the condition (you are right Wiz)... If at all, I will wait for an early Nickelsilver in excellent condition with the vertical hanger.

Just as a mental exercise, what would be the max value the piece in question would be worth paying for?

Albert

Comment

Hello Albert. The eagle is not repaired. I'm saying the area to the right (where you took a closeup) - that area looks repaired.

I believe you've made a very smart choice, and one you will be very happy with.

Comment

Albert... I was going to say that I think it's worth about USD$1400.00 but that's just my opinion. Personally I would not want to pay €2000.00+ for it. It's still an RZM marked SS, so the parts aren't of superior quality like the early nickel silver SS daggers. You can see the plate lifting on the crossguards and once it starts, it never stops. You can still pick up nice early models for around the €2000.00+, (USD$2500.00), mark.

Comment

Thanks again! The decision is made: the dagger goes back to the seller tomorrow.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X