Need opinions on the dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Need opinions on the dagger

Hi all - what do you think about this dagger - appears to have a generic pommel and a WKC crossguard but I am not really sure.

I would be inclined to agree with you John although I find it difficult differentiating WKC fittings from Generic. In fact I am of the opinion that Heer and Luft generics must have been WKC manufactured. I can't prove it of course but they are just too similar in design to my eyes not to be.

I can't place the scabbard bands either, any chance of better pics of them?

The wire wrap terminating 'front & centre' at the pommel is unusual as well although I have seen such many times before.

Despite being one of the larger manufacturers Eickhorn made quite extensive use of generic fittings so no problem there.

Looks like a very nice dagger, I would be happy with it.

Cheers,
    David.
    At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

Originally posted by David C
      Despite being one of the larger manufacturers Eickhorn made quite extensive use of generic fittings so no problem there.

Looks like a very nice dagger, I would be happy with it.

Cheers,
      David.
      Agreed,

There is ample proof (i.e. Johnson's Volume VIII) that even the larger Waffenfabriken traded parts among themselves and purchased parts from third patyies/outside sources. Looks like a dagger I could be happy with as well.

Best,
      Skip

Comment

2nd Luft

John
        Both the pommel and crossguard appear to be WKC, to me. Acorns on pommel (bottom 2 down as opposed to bottom 2 up on generic) and left over right leaves on crossguard (generic has right over left) show these to be WKC parts in my guesstimate......
        I know that Eickhorn used other maker's parts from time to time and this appears to be no different.....
        Denny

Comment

Very nice dagger and very good photowork. I have no concerns , much was possible on third Reich daggers . May be , the colour pommel to crossguard is a little different , but the whoole fit is fine .
          Regards.

Comment

One point of clarificatioon before we run off willy-nilly into the "anything goes" quagmire.

There was a thread not so long ago in which I - and several others - were noted for encouraging the addition of "textbook" pieces to one's collection. Much was made of that but, in the case of the dagger in question in that earlier thread, I stand by that advice.

The clarification that needs to be made is that there are certain models of Third Reich daggers where deviation from an accepted standard is not necessarily acceptable. TENO, NPEA, and, yes - chained SS - daggers are among those where we may take a much dimmer view of components that deviate from that standard. The Himmler SS dagger is another excellent example...there are only two accepted trademarks and two recognized makers of crossguards found on original Himmlers.

On the other hand, the 2nd Luft is a dagger that most of us afford a little leeway. The one in this thread is just such a dagger

Just thought that was a point worth bringing up.

Best,
            Skip

Comment

Thanks for the clairification your point is taken. I was considering this as my next dagger.

Cheers

JC

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X