Gau Sa Dagger

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Gau Sa Dagger

I normally stick with firearms but this dagger has a beautiful mahogany grip. Now, as far as Im concerned yes its SA they made almost 3 million of these daggers, its not worth over 600. The dealer wants 900. Now granted, key word is dealer and we all know dealers have high prices. This dagger isnt going anywhere because of that high price, but it looks so nice a part of me wants to break down and buy it. Should I go ahead? or should I just wait around and maybe find a nice one like that somewhere else. Thanks
    Attached Files

It's the grip that is dragging you under.It is extremely beautiful, but the dagger is very high priced.You can find an SA with an equally beautiful grip for less money.I would pass and wait.What does the rest of the dagger look like?Regards,Darrick

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

It is a very nice looking dagger and I can see why you are attracted to it. I think it is overpriced but you know that already. If you feel good in paying that amount for it, then that's your decision. Some collectors go on rarity and some others don't care at all. Ask yourself this... if you had to sell it for whatever reason in the future, do you think that you could at least get your money back at bare minimum?

What is the maker?

Comment

Yes rather expensive. I would want much better pics than these if I were considering it. From here it looks to have some very nice graining but I suspect it may have been embelished.

Cheers,
          David.
          At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

The maker is solingen.
            Does anyone have a dagger that looks this nice for sale?

Comment

Originally posted by Citadelcadet
              The maker is solingen.
              Does anyone have a dagger that looks this nice for sale?

Which particular maker though?

Comment

Really choice SA daggers are trading over a grand, and that's between collectors for the right maker mark. That dagger looks top notch. If the reverse is as nice $900 will be a bargain down the road. This dagger is probably a ground Rohm because the author of the photos named them Roehm***. None of the Rohm makers were rare makers. Therefore, a lot depends on the grind job on the reverse. If it was clean and the trademark was unhit then the price should not be affected. If it was a butcher job then the price is too high.

Comment

The pommel nut is upside down. That kind of makes me think that it has been messed with. The grip is beautiful, but it looks like it may have been rubbed with oil or something by the looks of the sheen.
                  I would pass on this one.
                  Scott

Comment

Scott I don't know what you are looking at but that pommel nut is 100% A-Ok. Pommell nuts cannot be put upside down. Perhaps it is the photo that is confusing you. There is nothing wrong with oiling a grip if you use the right stuff. I use Formby's furniture lemon oil. It will not darken the wood. I have a grip that looks very similar but a bit lighter in color.
                    Last edited by Skyline Drive; 02-25-2006, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I have no idea what I was looking at either???
                      I will have to remember not to "drink and post" in the future. It looks normal as can be today.
                      Funny how simple logic like a nut only threads on one way goes right out the window with a few beers.

I will however have to differ in opinion on the use of oil on handles. Just my preference.
                      Best Regards,
                      (a now sober Scott)

Comment

dagger

Heres a pic of the maker...thanks for all the help!
                        Attached Files

Comment

Well that is a ground Rohm then.
                          At Rathau on the Aller, the CO of 5th Royal Tanks advanced on foot to take a cautious look into the town before his tanks moved in. He encountered one of his own officers, a huge Welshman named John Gwilliam who later captained his country's rugby team, 'carrying a small German soldier by the scruff of his neck, not unlike a cat with a mouse.' The Colonel said: 'Why not shoot him?' Gwilliam replied in his mighty Welsh voice: 'Oh no, sir. Much too small.'

Comment

I have a mint one on ebay, not ground Rohm. But it will be alot cheaper than $900. Ebay name gruhl13.
                            Regards,
                            Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                            X