Crossguard markings

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Crossguard markings

Can anyone provide a list of what the markings inside some daggers crossguards mean? Are these codes as to who made them?

I know that on K98 rifles that towards the end of the war it wasn't uncommon to find a rifle made by one company with parts mades by others makers (floorplates, sights, buttplates...). Is that the case with daggers too? Did some makers buy others parts to finish their final product?

Thanks for the info.

JasonS

The markings inside of the crossguards are the manufacturers that made them. I think between SA, NSKK and SS there's about 25 to 30 different manufacturers. Often dagger makers assembled crossgurad parts from other companies. So if you had a grossguard mark of say, "P A", this is for the manufacturer Piel & Adey. This is probably the most common mark of which a whole bunch of different dagger makers used their crossguards. You could try and group which dagger maker's used each companies crossguards but I don't think there is a steadfast rule as such. For example, it would be okay for an Eickhorn to have crossguards marked with "P&A" but it might be suspect if you found an Eickhorn with say an "F&B" marking.

Comment

Thank you sdp.

Does anyone have a list of the makers codes that they could post here?

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X