Help with Kriegsmarine Dagger please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

"1/2 a day and a 12 pack" Ha ha love it!! Larry
    For those who value a piece's history such things tell a story. Shoot I have a denazified piece, 50 years from now the evidence of such a reaction to a mere symbol, too will tell a story that speaks to the post-war years.
    In the early days of collecting a Ground Rohm some viewed as defaced, now we value them as much or more than a std political dagger.
    www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

take the original used knot off and replace with a minty repo. dang why do folks not like original stuff!!! If it aint minty and a repop I dont want it...

Comment

Thanks for all the input.
        I was very close to taking this knot off because I thought it was a distraction on a otherwise nice dagger.
        I started to remove the knot and seen all the signs of it being part of this dagger for a very long time, green grime where the rope rests on the fittings, wear marks in all the right places.
        Maybe the portepee was put on by a GI, I do not think a GI would go through the trouble of tying the knot correctly or even know what correct is, why would anyone else put this oddball portepee on the dagger?
        Any ideas on what this portepee is, ww2 period or post war?
        Thanks again
        Eddie

Comment

Can you post a pic of the stem where the rope enters.
          www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

rope attaching to stem
            Last edited by 25thlight; 03-17-2008, 08:27 PM.

Comment

Eddie I can't say I've ever seen a cord like that one but given the wear I would think the port. is a period one. Is the knot original to the cord? Who knows. Regardless looks like a period repair.
              www.lakesidetrader.com

sigpic

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X