Reichsmarine-Reichswehr Daggers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Reichsmarine-Reichswehr Daggers

Hi Guys, I am sure that to some of you will think that this is probably a silly question, but I have been thinking about this the last couple of days...did the Reichswehr/Reichsmarine ever issue any officer daggers? Was the wearing of WW1 daggers officially (i.e. by regulations) permitted in the Reichswehr/Reichsmarine? Does anyone have examples of daggers being worn with Reichswehr/RM uniforms on official occassions? Cheers and thanks, Torsten.
    Last edited by torstenbel; 12-29-2005, 10:57 AM.

The German Navy has a long history (far back into the Imperial period) of wearing daggers. The Reichsmarine dagger is essentially the same as the Kriegsmarine dagger with a different pommel - often described as a 'flaming ball' or a 'reed and wave' pommel. These are often refered to by collectors as First Model Navy daggers. Actually, the Kriegsmarine dagger was the Reichsmarine dagger with the eagle & swastika pommel replacing the earlier one.

The so-called 'open-crown' pommel pre-dates both and is what you will generally hear referred to as Imperial Navy daggers in collecting circles.

BTW - Wittmann's Navy book is a goldmine for those interested in Navy daggers

Best,
    Skip

Comment

Skip, thank you very much... so, there was a specific Reichsmarine issue dagger...could someone please post pics of a Reichmsarine dagger that they may have? Cheers and thanks, Torsten.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
      X