Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

98k Bayo question

Dear All,

I have a question regarding bayonets that are only WaA marked. Are they early or late? Desireable or not so much?

Thanks in advance,

Best regards,

Albert

Hallo Albert

I need more information for answering your question? Like Maker, year, construction, wood or bakelit grip plates, serial number. Locations of the WaA and the number.

So untill then your question can't be answered.

Regards
    Kim

Comment

Hello Kim,

I was looking for a general answer but the more detailed the better.

Here is the situation, I have three bayos but want to keep only one or two.

One is void of any maker marks and dates (only WaA); see pics.

The other has been discussed here:
      http://www.wehrmacht-awards.net/foru...ghlight=Albert

And the third is a matching Berg&Co 1940 / 464 b with bakelite grips, and WaA 253(?) stamps. This one has hardly any bluing left.

The million dollar question is which ONE of those three would be the keeper or which ONE would be the first to go.

Thanks,

Albert
      Attached Files
      Last edited by Albert; 12-26-2005, 08:08 AM.

Comment

One is void of any maker marks and dates (only WaA); see pics. # 2:
        Attached Files
        Last edited by Albert; 12-26-2005, 08:09 AM.

Comment

One is void of any maker marks and dates (only WaA); see pics. # 3:
          Attached Files
          Last edited by Albert; 12-26-2005, 08:09 AM.

Comment

Albert,
            I collect 98k bayonets from various years, but mostly interested unit marked and Navy marked bayonets in the 98k style. The two different bayonets that I have seen from your collection are nice. If the third one is void of almost all the bluing I would elect to sell that one first. As for the unmarked 98k that is a commercial, but some people refer to them as "sneaks". Commercials are scarce, but are very rare if they have a WaA proof on them. The third is the Tr that you have that is the hard of the three to find.
            So in conclusion it comes down to what you want in your collection and how you collect. If your looking for field grade, carried by the common solider keep the '42 dated bayonet. If your just looking for the quality then keep the best blued bayonet and sell the others.
            I might be interested in either of the bayonets that your not interested in. I mean if your looking to sell them just let me know.
            My collection is mostly late war '44 dated and Kriegsmarine marked 98k bayonets. I have an early commercial without any proofs and I've had the Tr marked ones too.
            I hope this might help, but if you have more questions PM and I'll try and assist you some more or I'll re-post here.
            Happy Holidays,
            Brian

Comment

Thank you very much Brian,

Quality is quite important to me. Rarity and desireability are too as long as they don't push a piece into the "exotic" corner; I am more into common items.

With that point of departure let me see if I got it right. The "commercial" in my collection has WaA stamps. So I guess that makes it both desireable and rare (plus, it's in high excellent conidtion). The Tr marked bayonet is rare (plus, it's in excellent condition).

The "Berg&Co 1940" is both common and not so desireable conditionwise. So I should part with it first. I will post some pics later just to make sure i am not missing anything.

Best regards,

Albert

Comment

Here are some pics of the "Berg&Co 1940":
                Attached Files

Comment

More of the "Berg&Co 1940" (WaA 253):
                  Attached Files

Comment

Albert,
                    Your right. The berg is nice combat condition. It would probably go for $75-$100 depending on the buyer or bidders.
                    If I were to sell the three bayonets I would sell them in this order. The Berg would go first, then the commercial and then the Tr, but some people might switch the Tr and commercial around.
                    The condition of the commercial and Tr are from the photos in the excellent range. I could not set a price range for each, but they should see for more than $150, the Tr probably closer to $200.
                    I hope this helps and I'll try to get some reference material for the next posting.
                    Brian

Comment

Brian have right, but i would be carefully by the blanko piece, it could be that the blanko only WaA519 have new finish added, while the color is different from the scabbard color, my personally desicion is ,that all bayos are good, while the Berg 40 have correct using finish and is matching, and should be remain in Your collection,haha.Andy

Comment

Thanks Guys,

I still am undecided but I guess I will start thinking about selling the Berg first. Actually, it's my favorite and I wish it had more finish left.

Boy, I even developed a headache trying to figure out what to do. Maybe I should sell all three of them, and wait for a Berg in excellent condition.

Thanks again guys,

Albert

Comment

I keep looking at the “blanko” and wondering if it’s a late Portuguese contact with red plastic grips?? FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                          X