A new adventure

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

A new adventure

O.K. guys, my field gear collection is almost rounded out, and I am doing well financially here in Afghanistan, so I can now seriously consider moving into areas I couldn't afford before. That includes daggers. So, as in any new endeaver, it is time to research, research, research. I need recommendations for one or two books that will give me a basic handle on daggers. I have followed this forum a bit, and other websites, and have a good handle on the basic versions,(Army, Luft, SS ect)
    Now, my collection goals are going to be simple(unless I really get bit by the bug hard) I wish to put together a basic representative collection of one each of the major models. Doubt that I will get wrapped up in rare makers ect, so I will be able to assemble a nice group of the relatively lower end price ones.
    So guys, advice for a beginner. A good reference book or two, and perhaps recommendations of a couple good, honest dealers to start out with. I have about six months to study up before I get home. Thanks in advance.
    Cheers,
    Johnnie

Welcome to the dark side of the hobby - Warning...collecting the daggers is especially addictive

I would suggest Volume One of Tom Johnson's series, Collecting the Edged Weapons of the Third Reich. By most accounts, it is the "Bible" of the hobby. The other seven books in the series are quite good, but may go into more detail than you want/need at this stage of the game.

Schiffer Publishing just released (3-4 months ago) a four-volume set of books by Tom Johnson that cover just about all the basic daggers - not a tremendous amount of detai but, it sounds like they would fit in well with your collecting goal(s).

Of course, Tom Wittmann's books are simply remarkable but, again, deal a lot with variations between makers and periods of manufacture.

My guess is that, once you get started, you will put together a pretty extensive reference library, but Johnson's Volume I and/or the Schiffer series should probably be the foundation.

Good luck!
    Skip

Comment

Johnson's Volume I is a must for anyone taking the dagger plunge. While short on detail, it covers every dagger a collector is likely to encounter. The best overall advice is don't get in a hurry and always go for quality not quantity. Welcome to the dark side.
      Ignored Due To Invisibility.

Comment

Thanks guys. I now have a place to start. I will be comming home to the States for Christmas (well needed break, 14 mos. Kosovo, 6 mos. in this.....of Kabul Afghanistan). Since I doubt that Barnes & Noble stocks these books, any recomendations as to where to buy them online?
        My sweet German Frau will be joining me for Christmas, and I was able to deftly hornswaggle her into agreeing that we can each pick our own Christmas presents this year. I can't wait to announce to her that I am holding out for a nice representative Army dagger. He, He ! She will roll her eyes, mutter something to herself in German, and ask me for the ten thousanth time why anyone would want to spend money on anything connected with Adolph and company.( She benevolently tollerates my collecting habits).
        Once I decide to make my first purchase, any recommendations as to honest dealers, or other board members to approach?
        The dark side? Hmmmmmm. I think I will take the plunge.
        Thanks again,
        Johnnie

Comment

Johnnie - I concur with Skip and Larry. Dealers are great for inexperienced collectors and ones looking for special pieces.......So, if you are not in a hurry and like doing homework, buying on your own can be more rewarding emotionally and financially. Reason I say that is other than SS, the basic group you mention is very plentiful. Most all of the common ones turn up on this site and you can always post for opinions. Once you are familiar with prices and know what you want, you can decide which way is best for you. If you decide you want an Army as a representative example, do you want and early one, maker marked etc?

For Army, SA and Luft most times we get the best deals privately when they come with the hangers (and portepee). In general, collectors when they sell tend to want to sell the whole setup especially if they are original together.
          Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

The books are available directly from the authors at:

www.johnsonreferencebooks.com (Johnson) and www.wwiidaggers.com (Wittmann)

Once you've decided on your Army dagger, both of them carry an extensive selection. There's also Gailen David, Jason Burmeister, Craig Gottlieb, Lakeside Trader, Bill Shea, our Forum e-stand...the list goes on and on. Jeff is right - nice Army daggers are pretty readily available...the hard part is deciding if you want a specific maker, vintage, grip color, etc.

So many daggers...so little time (and money!)

Good luck,
            Skip

Comment

Thanks guys. Thats what makes this board so valuable and fun. I am taking my time, will order the books , do my research, and of course, seek advice here.
              A belated Merry Christmas to all (am home on leave now)
              Best regards,
              Johnnie

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
              X