Imperial Gardes Hunting Cutlass

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Imperial Gardes Hunting Cutlass

Picked this up the other day from a local picker and thought it would look good on my wall Any comments would be helpfull as i've never seen this type before
    Attached Files

Gary is your man for ID'ing such things. Two items jump out at me.

The emblem added to the clamshell seems to connote artillery which would seemingly have no connection to a Forestry sidearm but perhaps the previous owner had served with such a unit.

The blade has a wide flat blood groove which extends to the tip, making me think it has been cut down at some point.

As I mentioned, these are just observations. Whether these things are of concern or not, I'll leave to Gary and others more versed in such hirschfängers.

Comment

Originally posted by Billy G View Post
      Gary is your man for ID'ing such things. Two items jump out at me.

The emblem added to the clamshell seems to connote artillery which would seemingly have no connection to a Forestry sidearm but perhaps the previous owner had served with such a unit.

The blade has a wide flat blood groove which extends to the tip, making me think it has been cut down at some point.

As I mentioned, these are just observations. Whether these things are of concern or not, I'll leave to Gary and others more versed in such hirschfängers.
      Gary, thanks for your comment, emblems on clamshells we need to be care full no doubt but i do like the matching finish and the patina that does seem to match, the cannons did make me wonder. As for the blade being cut down then i do not believe so as the top edge has the hump back so imo produced as is l'lI add a photo, hope its clear, off behind the clam. Pete.
      Attached Files

Comment

This is a walking out dress hirschfänger for a member of either the Guarde Schützen or Guarde Jäger regiments, unfortunately it has been cut down and the blade has been cleaned quite harshly, as far as I am concerned the clamshell emblem is OK, looks to have it's original frog and knot, nothing wrong with this piece at all and would look good as a wall hanger.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Saufaenger kid View Post
          This is a walking out dress hirschfänger for a member of either the Guarde Schützen or Guarde Jäger regiments, unfortunately it has been cut down and the blade has been cleaned quite harshly, as far as I am concerned the clamshell emblem is OK, looks to have it's original frog and knot, nothing wrong with this piece at all and would look good as a wall hanger.

Gary
          Thank you Gary for the comments must admit I'm I'm suprised at it being cut down especially with the hump back still on the tip, I'm wondering Gary how much as been removed as I've never seen the hirschfanger you mention. It would be nice if any member had an image off one to share. Pete

Comment

Thanks again Gary so it looks like at least over 2 inch difference keeping the back of the hump to the tip. Any idea why this would have been done? Going by the rework this wasnt done in a shed and the wear, crazing and patina to the scabbard end including chape markings in the leather appears a very old job!
            p.s. Billy G, you were correct fella

Comment

Shorter designs were all the rage during the 3rd reich period and many were cut down to fit in during this period.

Gary

Comment

Originally posted by Saufaenger kid View Post
                Shorter designs were all the rage during the 3rd reich period and many were cut down to fit in during this period.

Gary
                Thank you Gary

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X