Help with identifying a fireman's axe

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help with identifying a fireman's axe

This axe belonged to my grandfather and has been in a drawer for at least 65 years. I remember it had a very basic crome bottom on the handle that has been lost. I have seen other axes that are much more ornate and this one is very basic. Also I have seen none with a leather holder. I can not find markings on anything. Any ideas on exactly what it is and when it was made? Thank you.
    Attached Files

It looks to be a basic fireman's axe. Google "Beil fuer Feuerwehr".

Comment

Yes, it also appears to be missing the bottom metal part which finished it off.

Comment

That is a known design that has been used for at least 150 years. I've got one, also with the leather head covering, that's presented to a Komandant in 1887 for his 20th anniversary.

Comment

Wow. Thanks for the info. I wish it had some kind of date or makers mark or something. There isn't even a mark on the cover. Appreciate the comments.

Comment

Originally posted by jancz3rt View Post
            Yes, it also appears to be missing the bottom metal part which finished it off.
            And the leather cover for the axe head appears to have lost the leather strap with karabiner clip which attached to one of the D-rings on the fireman's large leather service belt. I no longer have my set.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X