HJ Honor Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

HJ Honor Knife

Would appreciate any thoughts regarding this HJ Honor knife. To the best of my knowledge these were early before the knifes were maker marked. Thanks
    Attached Files

You're correct that these knives appear to show early period parts and construction. The blade and pommel etch and grip pattern resemble one of several known patterns.

As far as I know, originals are either maker marked Wüsthof Gldiatorwerk or are unmarked.

The scabbards resemble those of Weimar fighting knives. One feature of the scabbard is the leather retaining strap is lower than on an HJ knife, to permit a view of the pommel etch. HJ knives have the strap against the pommel to leave the grip emblem unobstructed. Where does the strap fit on this one?

Comment

You're correct that these knives appear to show early period parts and construction. The blade and pommel etch and grip pattern resemble one of several known patterns.

As far as I know, originals are either maker marked Wüsthof Gldiatorwerk or are unmarked.

The scabbards resemble those of Weimar fighting knives. One feature of the scabbard is the leather retaining strap is lower than on an HJ knife, to permit a view of the pommel etch. HJ knives have the strap against the pommel to leave the grip emblem unobstructed. Where does the strap fit on this one?

Comment

Eickhorn was also a manufacturer of this style knife although much more rare to find. Made from WW1 leftover stock, these were prototypes IMO. They come in several similar patterns: HJ flag, HJ diamond, SS Runes, Swastika in a Circle. Various mottos in a panel with different pommels. All are pre HJ Knife IMO. Here is my SS.

Comment

Hello Drew,

You have an original very early Carl Wusthof HJ-knife, these are very rare and unique, congratulations!
          The version you have never shows a maker mark, only the 'Gladiator" type blade are marked Carl Wusthof Solingen.
          The scabbard on your knife is the classic type, not the one this knife came with: these have a slightly longer shell or a bayonet type scabbard.

Best regards,

Victorman.
          Last edited by Victorman; 08-31-2020, 06:58 AM.

Comment

Thanks for the replies. I appreciate the knowage.

Comment

Here is my HJ with Gladiator on the reverse of the blade

Comment

Note that there were a couple other producers, which also made "Gladiator" type knifes: with the very heavy, out of one piece made hilt and blade!
                Those are even tougher to find than the Carl Wusthof "Gladiator" version...

Best regards,

Victorman
                Attached Files

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X