Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Army Dagger buying assistance requested

Hello,
    I just started dagger collecting and have really benefited from the advice on this site. In a short time, I have already started my collection with items in the attached picture. I think the next thing I want is an army dagger. There is a lot of information on this forum, but looking for some generic buying tips on what to look for. For example..when looking for an SS Dagger, I knew I wanted an early example with makers mark, district stamp, nickel/silver fittings, not parted together, unbuggered scabbard screws and nut, and an anodized scabbard. The sticky on Army cross guards is extremely helpful to identify what is what, but no info on what is most desirable. Looking for some basic desired characteristics to look for. I have also seen a lot of discussion on colors, but a lot of it is conflicting with what is more desirable from a collectors perspective. Any info or advice will be helpful as I begin my search, so I can get it right the first time. I want a nice one, but I am also on a budget, so not looking for an elite piece...just a nice original example that is all correct.
    thank you.
    Attached Files

As you will know there are lots of different looking eagle crossguards on army daggers, so if your looking to have just one then get one that YOU like the look of and is a good representation of an eagle, I've seen some terrible looking eagles on army guards and personally I would have been embarrassed to have worn some of them, SMF comes to mind and some Aluminium guards look child-like in design. I like a heavy dagger so an early one with a coloured slant grip and tapered tang which adds a little bit more weight is my preference. Look for good plating that is not flaking off, a good fit and an even patina, and the all important condition, condition, condition, which means no unsightly cracks and chips to the grip, dings and dog-legs to the scabbard and a good blade. Take your time to find the right one for YOU and make sure the fittings are textbook, or someone may flag up the dodgy part if you decide to sell it. Hope this helps.

Russ.

Comment

Thanks Russ. Good advice. Definitely not as clear cut when looking for an SS dagger. A lot more variations and choices with these. What you described sounds just what I will look for.

Comment

I agree with Russ , the early ones are the nicest they have a good heft . I wouldn’t worry about the maker more about the honesty of the dagger and the quality . Rob
        God please take justin bieber and gave us dio back

Comment

I would recommend a couple of reference books: Wittmann's "Exploring the Dress Daggers of the German Army" (although it is getting a little dated) and "Heeresdolche: A Reference Guide for Collectors." The latter has numerous color photographs. These will help you so that you do not buy a "parts" dagger, which can be an easy mistake to make. -- Hope that helps.

Comment

Great advice all..thanks. I started to take a hard look at the eagles and Russ is right...some are really bad. I am on the hunt. When I find one, I will post for a review.
            Appreciate the input.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X