Questions about Malsch & Ambronn SA from e-stand

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Questions about Malsch & Ambronn SA from e-stand

Hello all, I received a dagger today that I purchased on the e-stand and I have some questions about it that I did not notice until having it in hand. It was posted prior to sale and got thumbs up by several people so I want to make sure I'm not reading too much into the details now that I have it in hand. I'm raising these to see if they are a major concern in general as it applies to daggers and/or warrants a return in this case. I used an example from Lakeside Trader for comparison. As we all know, things look different in person and if there are certain differences to be expected in the areas I identified I am OK with that and happy to keep the piece. Here is the original thread: https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...view?t=1041789

I believe the seller disclosed everything he knew to the best of his knowledge. He was very patient and accommodating - allowing me to split into three payments since I was acquiring some other items at the same time and was responsive and a pleasure to work with. He also threw in full insurance at no extra cost to me. So again, this post is not about the seller - strictly the item.

I can provide additional photos if requested.

1. While the dagger is heavily polished/cleaned (which is fine) and some crossgrain is still visible, the blade appears slightly shorter and possibly sharpened as compared to my ASSO. I have included photos of me pressing on the tape measure so it is flush with the counter as well as it just sitting. While it is minor length difference, it is present and visible in person. If slightly shortened daggers are fairly common and come with the territory, then it is what it is. I did my best to line the two daggers up for photos.

IMG_9530.JPG IMG_9531.JPG IMG_9536.jpg

2. The handle appears shellacked or coated, including the SA button and the adler. You can see "shellac" has settled within the recesses of the adler both in this photo and in the original post. The handle has an almost waxy feel to it, but I suppose this could be years of grime and oils build up? Or do certain manufacturers have different finishes (not counting wood color)? As mentioned in the original post it was not observed that the handle was cleaned.
    IMG_9542.JPG image_4629578.jpg

3. Something with the hangar ring - see black line which is smooth and goes all the way around. Maybe the ring was sealed, but why? Not a biggie and this was on the original post but just wonder what's up with it.
    IMG_9544.JPG
    4. Differences in the maker mark - the letters on my example appear to be touching the border, while the LST ones are not. Spacing and letter shapes are slightly inconsistent. Details such as my pump handle appears to be shorter/fatter and doesn't extend out as far from the pump body. Is this something that can be attributed to hand finishing variance?

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 9.33.22 PM.png IMG_9545.PNG

5. Motto - I realize that there may be some slight differences on each dagger by a maker but these were things that gave me pause and again - I may be reading way too into it. The A is missing the lower left tail and the bottom shape is quite different, the D seems to be missing the tail at the very bottom and the top looks a bit off.

If makers routinely adjusted their mottos that is OK - something I was not aware of. If that is the case, what would prompt an adjustment? Or again is this something that can be attributed to hand finishing variance?

Screen Shot 2020-08-03 at 9.33.33 PM.png

IMG_9538.jpg

I'm more than likely reading way too far into these things but they are things I am curious about nontheless!
    Last edited by akriener; 08-04-2020, 06:45 AM.

That Malsch is actually fine.
    In regards to the length, while the specifications called for SA & SS dagger blades to be 220 mm, using a drop forge to initially shape the billet, then grinding, and numerous polishing steps, there will most likely be a slight variation to a degree on the length of each of the millions of political dagger blades produced. Even the taper of how the craftsman honed to the tip will differ. Some being more broad than others. When a blade is retipped it's obvious. As it is noticeably thick and visually shorter than what is shown in your photos.,

On the grip, many manufactures were known to clear lacquer their grips. Certain the Suhl manufactures, Dick and others. If you ever saw a HACO it would probably stop your heart. As they did not weather the 80 years of storage one bit, from when this was done at the factory. At other times the actual owner SA / SS soldier would further protect their nice dolch by taking this extra step themselves. Really no concern with this nice Malsch in the least. It can be removed if you wish. I would leave it as is.

In regards to the different hue of the scabbard ring and attachment. That is just the color difference of how the solder darken more than the nickel silver over 3/4 of a century.

And lastly the motto and etch. Depending on how long the blade was subjected to the acid bath, the strength of the acid, the worker's skill and more, will create different minor nuances in the etch of a motto and trademark.

Let me know if you can't sleep, as I would be interested in this nice SA.

JR

Comment

Originally posted by JR. View Post
      That Malsch is actually fine.
      In regards to the length, while the specifications called for SA & SS dagger blades to be 220 mm, using a drop forge to initially shape the billet, then grinding, and numerous polishing steps, there will most likely be a slight variation to a degree on the length of each of the millions of political dagger blades produced. Even the taper of how the craftsman honed to the tip will differ. Some being more broad than others. When a blade is retipped it's obvious. As it is noticeably thick and visually shorter than what is shown in your photos.,

On the grip, many manufactures were known to clear lacquer their grips. Certain the Suhl manufactures, Dick and others. If you ever saw a HACO it would probably stop your heart. As they did not weather the 80 years of storage one bit, from when this was done at the factory. At other times the actual owner SA / SS soldier would further protect their nice dolch by taking this extra step themselves. Really no concern with this nice Malsch in the least. It can be removed if you wish. I would leave it as is.

In regards to the different hue of the scabbard ring and attachment. That is just the color difference of how the solder darken more than the nickel silver over 3/4 of a century.

And lastly the motto and etch. Depending on how long the blade was subjected to the acid bath, the strength of the acid, the worker's skill and more, will create different minor nuances in the etch of a motto and trademark.

Let me know if you can't sleep, as I would be interested in this nice SA.

JR
      JR - thanks for your very detailed explanation. I am still learning the ins and outs of the details of daggers. You have definitely put my concerns at ease and I will be hanging onto this one ;-)

Is there any documentation on the acid process? I would be interested to read that.

Comment

Nice SA dagger

As JR said. The official length of the blade (from tip to crossguard) according to the drawing and specs was 220 mm (22 cm). Expect slight tolerances of +/- 2 mm.

46E47FC0-3E6B-4698-880B-D889E081571A.jpeg

Comment

Here 2 more Malsch & Ambronn daggers ... first is a SA dagger

5C33948C-606F-4AFC-BCF1-284DEF9892AF.jpeg

3F26DFAC-40DD-4861-A0AC-F6E0341EDB41.jpeg

Comment

Second is a NSKK dagger

B707FFAC-D317-4BC3-AB64-38872F1D16BE.jpeg

57A61EE5-5851-4F92-B3BD-72538B425A8A.jpeg

4F455A5A-A059-408F-8B5F-41FA65A6E0A0.jpeg

Comment

Originally posted by ivbaust View Post
              Nice SA dagger

As JR said. The official length of the blade (from tip to crossguard) according to the drawing and specs was 220 mm (22 cm). Expect slight tolerances of +/- 2 mm.
              Sorry, I’ve marked the wrong measurement in my above post. Here’s the correct one.

7B75263F-E877-4741-B498-DE6F2242E4E1.jpeg

Comment

Very handy info. Thanks!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X