Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SG 1898 Prussian Bayonet - Opinion and Ifo Please

IMG_2762.JPG IMG_2765.jpg IMG_2907.jpg Hi,

Here are some photos of a sawback bayonet SG 1898, one piece wooden grip. I would be grateful for information on this bayonet which is also regiment marked. I thought the blades on these bayonets were long .Are such bayonets rare ? Any information about this type of bayonet would be much appreciated. Thanks, Cheers, John .

IMG_2901.jpg IMG_2904.jpg IMG_2905.jpg IMG_2762.JPG IMG_2765.jpg IMG_2907.jpg
    Last edited by tudorw; 08-03-2020, 12:57 PM.

The bayonet was mostly shortened by Turks, as turkish scabbard is added there, they shortened it to 250mm of blade, normally this bayonet started life as S98aA also older modell, 1899 accepted and unit marked to Guard Regiment nr.2, when there is 2.G. also 8.Company and Weapon nr.182, the grip is alreade smoothed surface.Normally the blade should be 522mm long.

Comment

My apologies but I can't seem to upload the images in proper sequence for some reason so that my query is smack dab in the middle of the photos !

Comment

Thanks Andy, does this probable "Turkish" shortened bayonet have any collecting value ? Looks like I made a bad buy several years ago !

Comment

I agree with Andy. This bayonet was a S98 aA mit Sage, and most likely modified by the Turks. I don't think you made a "bad buy" with this one. S98 with sawback are rather hard to find, also shortened pieces. Maybe it has a little less value because it no longer has a German scabbard, and it is no longer a standard German bayonet, but IMO still a nice piece, one that I would add to my S98 collection any day.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X