Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Maybe fake K98 bayonets

Dear all.

I'm new here on this forum Been collection bayonets for 15 years, ww1 &ww2 I've 2 german K98 bayonets that i'm a bit nervous about. Bought them in a collection. I'm not strong in k98 bayonets.
    . The inlay on the grip , the runes on the back of the blade and the skull on the pommel.
    Is it real ore ???????
    Please comment.
    Best Regards Jan

pommel.JPG front.JPG blade.JPG grib.JPG blade 1.JPG back pommel 1.JPG back.JPG back pommel.JPG

No, it's definitely not original, the inlay, skull and the rune on the spine. Bad bad bad.

Comment

Oftentimes rather than ruin a good original bayonet fakers will modify "beater" (poor condition - low value) bayonets to make them more valuable "SS" bayonets. That being the case here with "beater" WW2 German service bayonets with fake "SS" markings, sawback blade, and the grip emblem. FP

Comment

certainly wrong postwar added sawback bad that was done on a matching E.Pack 38, the other stamp are only smaller problem, as it could be partly removed, anyway are too fantasy.

Comment

The piece was matching what is good, bad that was reworked in that manner, the grip inlay is too not correct.

Comment

Dear All

Many thanks for your replay and your
            knowledge . You have confirm my suspiciousness.

This k98 bayonets it is the same, fake markings???? Pommel.JPG Blade Left.JPG Scarbbard Left.JPG Scarbbard 2.JPG Blade right.JPG

Best regards
            Jan

Comment

Interestingly the WKC blanko bayonet normally went to SS, police or other branches, certainly the added pommel stamps are unperiod "Kulturzeichen des SS" typical for swords, are not correct there. the scabbard is missmatch S/244G means Mundlos 1935. Possible the locking nut was replaced. b.r.Andy

Comment

Deleted, duplicate post.

Comment

Same opinion, another "beater" (poor condition - low value) bayonet with fake markings. Early Behörden model bayonets from Hörster (no German Police or "SS" markings) have been seen associated with legitimate period SS frogs. Also, from WKC, a Behörden model that is probably just a little bit later that had a "Depot" style marking. Possibly retrieved by the German Army following some of the early combat actions, that type of marking is almost always only found on German Army/Wehrmacht bayonets and by itself relatively scarce. FP

Comment

Thank to all your answers, I glad for the help you have previded for mee.
                    Are ther any books made about fake k98 bayonets???

Jan

Comment

There are books about real bayonets, as fakers are still in work, and new variation still occure and will be in future on market, so no real book should be about fakes, more real a good book about real confirmed markings, there exist some, G.Wheeler History of S84/98, or some german books.

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
                        There are books about real bayonets, as fakers are still in work, and new variation still occure and will be in future on market, so no real book should be about fakes, more real a good book about real confirmed markings, there exist some, G.Wheeler History of S84/98, or some german books.

I like the thinking posted above. By studying fact based sources, and if needed, an assist from the Internet it should make it easier to detect the fakes that are already out there, and the newer ones still being created. FP

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                        X