Puma party day knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Puma party day knife

I always thought hat these blades were fake or post war. A guy just bought this one over for me to look at and I still feel the same. What do y'all think? Thanks, Dale
    Attached Files

Post war for sure.

Comment

Originally posted by DALE ELLIS View Post
      I always thought hat these blades were fake or post war. A guy just bought this one over for me to look at and I still feel the same. What do y'all think? Thanks, Dale

Dale, I've seen some uncleaned examples of this type that I thought were most likely period, so because of the extensive cleaning - polishing 'In hand' this one might take some studying in trying to determine the timing of the etch. Attached is an image of a completely postwar "Party Day" knife - the emblem on the scabbard (a minority almost all are without it) from the "family" of postwar "DJ" knife fakes and variants. The other a legitimate well used HJ knife that was used by a faker for a test etch of the Party day motif. Fred
      Attached Files

Comment

A very controversial topic with I believe most people thinking these knives are postwar constructed. This one's etch seems crude at best so I wouldn't believe it period at all but looking now at Fred's pictures and thoughts, maybe the crudeness is from zealous polishing and or oxidation. The spanner nut in the pommel would make me think this particular one would be not of the period.

Comment

This type of knife is not my specialty - but I can say that before and during WW2 some U.S. makers used spanner nuts for hunting type knives marked for and used by U.S. forces. FP

Comment

Thanks everyone!

Comment

I believe the piece was nickeled and the remains in the Dedication is visible, should be compared the numbers of similar pieces, the handgrip looks nice old. Is certainly not a postwar cheap fake. About originality is hard to say, but the marking on other side looks ok to me.

Comment

Thanks Andy, it diffidently looked well made and old.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                X