WW2Treasures

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

E-stand WKC navy dagger with Holler scabbard.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

E-stand WKC navy dagger with Holler scabbard.

https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/forums/forum/the-militaria-e-stand/edged-weapons-table/11687549-kriegsmarine-dagger-with-portepee-wkc-excellent-condition
    This WKC navy dagger for sale on E-stand is fit with a Holler scabbard.
    I don't know why my links aren't working.

Russ.

​​​​​​https://dev.wehrmacht-awards.com/for...lent-condition

Comment

I posted this dagger for sale. I am not an edged weapons collector - this is the one-and-only in my collection. I'm unsure of the implications of the comment "is fit with a Holler scabbard". I bought this dagger on eStand in 2003 from Yuri Desyatnik. It received no comments/discussion at the time so I assumed that it was good. If this dagger does indeed have an incorrect scabbard can you please let me know if this negatively impacts the collectability/price etc. Thanks.
      sigpic

Comment

These two companies (WKC & Holler) produced navy daggers with their own distinctive fittings/parts, therefore a Holler scabbard on a WKC navy dagger is not a known or accepted combination of a genuine Third Reich period produced navy dagger. As far as collectability and price goes, well that is down to the individual collector, personally I would not buy this dagger because I would not want a messed with piece in my collection, but some collectors don't seem to give a rats arse, or they say they don't to pave the way to sell any put together crap themselves.

Russ.

Comment

Hi guys,
          I agree with Russ.
          Best,
          Oleg.

Comment

Thanks Russ. As previously mentioned, I bought this same set on the eStand in 2003. I did not put it together.

Since I am a novice edged weapons collector, could you please tell me what distinguishes this scabbard as a Holler? I have seen very similar scabbards on WKC daggers being sold by dealers.

Thanks!
            sigpic

Comment

Hi ekrogh, there are lots of different features on a Holler scabbard compared to a WKC, and as with other types of daggers you have to study the intricate details of each producer to distinguish one from another. The overall lightning bolt pattern on the scabbard shell/body is different between these two companies, other different features are the flat flush screws used by Holler compared to dome head used by WKC, a different layout to the leaf pattern on the bands, and thicker girth rings on Holler scabbards compared to thinner girth used by WKC. You will find parts daggers everywhere you look.

Russ.

Comment

Russ, Thanks very much for educating me on some of the nuances between WKC and Holler scabbards. I usually don't veer out of my collecting areas (U-Boats and Reichsparteitag) and thought I'd be safe purchasing this dagger on eStand because none of the collecting community raised any issues with it. Once again, I realize how treacherous the hobby can be and the need to do considerable research before plunking down cash. Thanks again!
                sigpic

Comment

It’s very common for navy daggers to have swapped scabbards they are often dented and collectors didn’t have the knowledge we have today upgrading without thought of manufacturer

Comment

Daggers were among the most sought after bring back items among GIs, and there was a lot of wheeling and dealing for them among the souvenir hounds. Scabbards and parts were also switched around in the ETO before the guns were even cold.

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                      It’s very common for navy daggers to have swapped scabbards they are often dented and collectors didn’t have the knowledge we have today upgrading without thought of manufacturer
                      Very common?????

Comment

Yes very common
                        km daggers often have dented scabbard
                        so it was very common for vets collectors or dealers to upgrade

Comment

Originally posted by nickn View Post
                          Yes very common
                          km daggers often have dented scabbard
                          so it was very common for vets collectors or dealers to upgrade
                          I would say this is could be very common for dealers who have boxes full of parts. Vets? Where do you think the vets could get so many spare scabbards to replace them due to dents? Collectors? If a collector changes the scabbard on a dagger, then he does not make a good piece out of a dagger, but a parts dagger.

Comment

Have you not seen the photos of piles of handed in daggers at the end of the war lots of vet picked and choose the best examples and lots of damaged scabbard would have been swapped later collectors would do the same dealers in any collectible have always tarted up there wares

Comment

Remember before books and the internet most didn’t know differences between manufacturers

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                              X