Help With Unknown Knife

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Help With Unknown Knife

This knife has a 5 1/2" blade with a 2" false edge, its 9 3/4" long overall. The blade has a dragon logo inscribed on it.
    There are no other markings.
    The s-shaped guard and ferule is steel and the one piece grip is some kind of bakelite.

Any help with its identity is welcome.
    Thanks,
    Cooky
    Attached Files

I am not surprised there has been no response, I have shown this knife on several forums over the years and no one had been able to identify it.

It was sold to me as a German trench knife and for sure, the blade, guard, ferule and overall dimensions are similar to Imperial era German knives.
    However the grip and blade inscription are not very Germanic at all.
    Perhaps I should try it here in the Japanese forum?

Cooky

Comment

Maybe Chinese? During the Imperial era the Germans made some export military type blades some of which had a dragon motif instead of the conventional German type. FP

Comment

Frogprince is correct, German edged weapons makers attempted to establish a larger export market after WWI, and sought to establish outlets all over the Far East. The use of the Chinese style dragon on the blade was to make it more appealing to fhe Chinese market.

FJS

Comment

Thanks very much for your replies and information FP & FJS,
          - it seems very plausible that this may well be an Imperial German export knife targeting the Far Eastern market.
          Its a shame the knife maker didn't give a clue as to their identity.

Has anyone seen another to compare it with?

Cooky

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
          X