SS Chained dagger opinions please

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Chained dagger opinions please

Can I please get opinions on this chained SS dagger with the photos provided. Thanks. SS chained dagger 9.jpg SS chained dagger8.jpg SS chained dagger 3.jpg SS chained dagger 4.jpg SS chained dagger 7.jpg SS chained dagger 6.jpg SS chained dagger 5.jpg SS chained dagger 2.jpg

SS chained dagger 10.jpg

Comment

The dagger is a early Eickhorn M33 mated with a early nickel Type 2 M-36 chained scabbard.
      Some collector don't like this type of blend but it was period done when the M-36 scabbards became available and some SS men chose to replace their 33 dagger into a cool chained scabbard rather than purchase a complete M-36.
      The blade buffer doesn't bother me, as I've seen these on Vet brings backs, not often though.

IMO, this one looks period correct, just not 'textbook'.

Comment

Thank you Serge. I appreciate that info!

Comment

These types almost always make me nervous for multiple reasons. Still at the time primarily a gun collector, the local "old timers" told me of a time when some guys were swapping maker marked blades with the unmarked M1936 types to make a (what they believed) was a "correct" M1936 dagger. Then when they found out that the opposite was true there was a rush to swap blades back that did not always work out that well, especially if some forced fitting took place. And every once in a great while you would still see an unmarked blade M1933 dagger. But that was years ago. Then there is the timing. The scabbard is a first generation M1936 nickel silver example. The scabbards were not sold separately at that time, it was later during the RZM period. So maybe it could be that someone had purchased both a M1933, and then later a complete M1936 and did the swap himself. But not that I can tell from the images. FP

Comment

As said above.

The M36 scabbard is a Type A (septum) and the dagger is a less common M33 Double oval C.E. Eickhorn.

Nice piece though, even mated.

Comment

These pictures have been making the rounds lately. I saw these same ones 3 weeks ago.

There are some that will always discount a maker marked dagger with an M36 scabbard, that's the issue with something being "textbook" or not. As has been said, I believe both dagger and scabbard are period items, albeit not originally with each other.

i remember another picture which isn't posted you which looked like the grip might have been repaired due to some uneven angles by the bottom, not sure exactly. I'm also curious if that leather buffer pad is hiding a poor blade to crossguard fit or something else.

Comment

Does the lower guard has a benchmark?

Comment

Thanks to all for the help. I really appreciate it!

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
                  X