Firemans Bayonet

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Firemans Bayonet

I would like to ask your opinions on this bayonet shows wear, never had one by this maker. Thanks, Ralph
    Attached Files

Nice saw-back FirePolice bayonet...

http://www.dg.de/de/hersteller/Leupo...LEUCO-Bayreuth

Comment

Fire bayonets by Johann Leupold are scarce but oddly enough the number of sawbacks I've seen with this mark is not that small which I admit is strange.

Leupold used 2 logos, this is the more common of the 2, the other is the stylized "L" with sword and without the company name and Solingen. Typically their fire bayonets are of later quality with plated nonmagnetic hilts and of varying degree of plating quality.

My only suggestion would be to gingerly try to remove any surface rust that you can, so to stop the advance of any further oxidation. The blade looks in terrific condition from what I can see.

Sawbacks always get people's attention and this looks like a nice example.

Comment

Sawbacks (as short swords), depending on the location, made their appearance circa 1820's and in Prussia as Pionierfaschinenmesser that could be mounted on rifles circa the 1860's. Something I don't recall ever seeing is how that tradition started with Faschinenmesser being associated with German Fire Departments. Is there an answer, or is it just not questioned or an unknown? FP

Comment

Any remains of nickeling on teeth of the sawback?

Comment

Originally posted by AndyB View Post
            Any remains of nickeling on teeth of the sawback?
            Good question, I really don't think that it ever had any, but it looks good never used. Ralph

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 8,717 at 11:48 PM on 01-11-2024.

Working...
            X