Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Stripping a knife ?

Hi,
    I have a HJ knife with a ground down blade which i would like to change for a replacement blade i purchased from a forum member. Not being a expert with edged weapons i was wondering what the best way to separate the knife into its components was. Obviously once the grip comes off it should be straightforward, but how easy is it to remove the grips and what is the safest way ?

Originally posted by tazpants
    Hi,
    I have a HJ knife with a ground down blade which i would like to change for a replacement blade i purchased from a forum member. Not being a expert with edged weapons i was wondering what the best way to separate the knife into its components was. Obviously once the grip comes off it should be straightforward, but how easy is it to remove the grips and what is the safest way ?
    drill them out son dount go daft use small bit first then go bigger . then go to see uncle johnson and aske him nice and he will sell you some pins ok

Comment

Good advice.

If you have access to one use a drill press with the knife handle clamped in place to try and avoid damage to the grips. Once the drilling is accomplished the remainder can be collapsed into the hole which was created by the drilling - and the rivets can be pushed out safely. You may want to get the replacement rivets first. To get an idea as to the size of the drills you will need which in any case shoud be no larger than the shanks.

Removing the rivets is the easy part. It’s usually the reassembly where problems occur. FP

Comment

Ohhhhhh. I wish i hadn,t started this. I don,t like tampering with pieces at all and never have, but this is just for my own personal collection......so here goes.

Cheers guys.

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 0 user online. 0 members and 0 guests.

Most users ever online was 10,032 at 08:13 PM on Yesterday.

Working...
        X