SS Dagger 1933

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

SS Dagger 1933

Hi all....here's one for all you experts out there. I'll just attach all the info as the seller explained it to me. All comments welcome.

Thanks....Tony

Hi Tony. One for you to look at. DESCRIPTION: Here is a rather nice enlisted man’s Mod1933 dagger with anodized scabbard and hanging strap. The grip is good with a little chipping under the top guard. The fittings are bright and not scarred. The blade is very good, apart from runner marks. The logo of Rich. Abr. Herder Solingen is clear on the blade. The Roman numeral I is clearly stamped on the back of the cross guard. This is for Oberabschnit Number 1. It is assumed that these were control numbers for the districts or Abschnits. The Roman numeral I is probably the northern district of Berlin, Leipzig, Halle. The leather suspension strap is in good condition. Black ebony handle. Early silver nickel fittings. Has a copper rune. Has at some time had a repair to the back of the handle, which to the eye is not very noticeable, but is really shown up with my camera.(This is good because you are seeing it at the worst
    Attached Files

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Attached Files

Comment

Hi Tony, the dagger is original.

I think the seller has described it OK and fairly pointed out it's faults. Pity about the grip and marks to the blade. But it all boils down to one thing now; price?

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Ade said it. Good honest piece.

Comment

Agreed...I see an original dagger accurately described by the seller. You just have to determine if the price reflects the problems with the grip and blade and if you would be happy with the dagger once it's in your collection.

Good luck,
                    Skip

Comment

Blade condition above all dictates price on these. The blade has more than runner marks. There is deep staining of the blade, often refered to as water marks.

Not sure, and would need a hands on to tell for sure, but the blade looks buffed near the maker mark. The lines don't look like cross-grain and more like buffing wheel marks. Corosion on the scabbard fittings is not something I would want to see on an early maker marked dagger.

It comes down to price especially when excellent pieces now for over $2K.
                      Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Thanks for all your comments, this was offered to me for NZ$3300, roughly 1800 Euros at the moment or US$2200. At least its original, thats a plus for sure, guess If I could get the price down a bit then it would be more in keeping with its condition.

Cheers everyone.....Tony

Comment

Hi Tony, at that price, roughly £1,250, I would pass. I would want to see it well under the £1000 mark.

Cheers, Ade.

Comment

Thanks Ade...see what i can manage, appreciate all your input.

Regards.....TC

Comment

Tony - If you are patient, you can find an excellent one with no excuses for $2200. Save your money or try to get it for $500 less than current asking price.
                              Alitur vitium vivitque tegendo

Comment

Users Viewing this Thread

Collapse

There is currently 1 user online. 0 members and 1 guests.

Most users ever online was 9,503 at 02:00 PM on Today.

Working...
                              X